Chapter 50

.Riley.

It had been a couple days since we got back to Toronto from Miami and I had been staying with James at his.
Deborah had let me after hearing about everything with Nate and the police and Mom but I knew it wouldn't last very long. If she didn't want me there, she wouldn't let me stay for eternity.

James and I were currently in his car as he drove us to wherever it was he was intending for us to go.
Part of me thought it was just another one of his spontaneous days out that he wanted to drag me into so I was going along with it but part of me thought otherwise. 

I've never seen him so excitedly secretive in my life and all it did was make me grow all the more curious as to where it was we were going. 

"Is this just going to be another silent journey until we get there?" I ask, turning my head around to face him while he continued to grin from ear to ear, his two hands on the steering wheel. 

He takes one look over at me before shaking his head and moving his hand to my thigh, allowing me to place my hand above his.
"Just be patient, Ri. I promise it'll all make sense in a little bit," he says while I roll my eyes. 

I trusted him, I really did, but when he refused to tell me what he was up to it was enough to single-handedly kill me.

That being said, what was only a five minute drive seemed to take forever until we pulled up in the middle of a circle of houses making up the local neighbourhood of the town.
It was quiet in this area - distant from the city and surrounded by local shops and schools. It was a perfect place to live in compared to the hassle and bustle of the everyday life outside of town.

But that didn't quite explain to me what we were doing here. 

"James, what are we-?" I begin to ask before I'm cut off by him undoing his seatbelt and getting out of the car, opening and closing his side-door, only confusing me all the more.
I had no idea what we were doing here, let alone have any idea what he was up to. 

Huffing, I undo my own seatbelt and help myself out of the car for him to lock it shortly after before he worms his arm around my waist.

"Are you going to explain this to me at all? Anytime today would be nice," I groan as he chuckles, shaking his head before pressing a light kiss against my temple.
I roll my eyes trying to keep my cool as he led us in the direction of one house in particular and I hesitantly followed along. 

"Do you want to know why I've been so emotionally detached lately?" he asks softly, stepping away from me to the side to then lean against the door of the house while I stare at him in disbelief, trying to put two and two together.
He takes both of my hands in his as I nod my head slowly.

I'd been wanting to find out for the past two weeks now but he never let me in on anything until this point.

He smiles, giving my palms a light squeeze before he lets go and reaches into his jeans pocket, pulling out a set of keys which he then uses to unlock the door while I stare at him intently, figuring everything out for myself.
He pushes the door open and steps aside and as I look at him, he gestures for me to take a step inside. 

When I do, he shuts the door closed behind me and then when I turn around at the sound of the loud bang, my eyes land on a pretty cute banner hung on the surface of the door while James stood there with a rose bouquet in his hands, smiling at me sheepishly.

"Welcome home, babe," he says, making me smile at him instantly.
I rush over and fling my arms around his neck to which he lifts me up in response, my legs swinging in the air while he held the flowers in his hands still.

"So this is what you were planning all the times you were on your phone?" I ask, stepping away from him as I look at him with nothing but pure affection.

He chuckles and nods.
"Don't get me wrong, it took ages to find the right one but Mom knew someone who had this house up for sale so she helped me with it," he rambles on.

I shake my head without a care in the world as I reach forwards, crashing my lips against his, which takes him aback by the slightest when his back hits the door.
But he doesn't pull back either and only kisses me more.

"I love you," I tell him when he picks me up so my legs were straddling his torso as he had me pressed up against the door

"I love you," I tell him when he picks me up so my legs were straddling his torso as he had me pressed up against the door. He chuckles, pecking my lips softly.
"I love you more," he says, kissing me again before beginning to lead the way up to our new bedroom, making me laugh lightly against his lips.

This was our new beginning... And it was perfect.