31. NIGHT DRIVE

☆彡:・;.*:・。

"V! I'M GOING OUT! Don't lock the door!"
Kylie jumped down the last set of steps of the stairs, rushing to get out the door as soon as she could with a kick in her step.

Tyson was parked outside, the sun setting so soon early in the afternoon, and sending panic through the girl trying to make the most of the hours she had left in the day. He'd texted her just hours prior, asking if she was up for going on a long-ass drive after his dad promised him the car for a night. Kylie couldn't have agreed quicker, of course, she did! Driving around was something she didn't do very much, Kev could be quite fussy with what he used his gas on, but when the nights came when he asked if Kylie was up for a last-minute drive to the gas station, she jumped in the passenger seat.

He offered her the truck once in a blue moon, but even still, she preferred riding shotgun than sitting behind the wheel.

"Don't be back late! You hear me?!" The older woman called from the kitchen, watching her swing open the door with excitement on her face. Veronica wondered how the hell a teen could be so pumped for having such restrictions made against her - how the hell was she smiling with an anklet on her foot?

"I know!" Kylie responded.
She knew she'd be back for curfew.

She closed the door and looked to the car parked outside the house, a smile on her face but nerves in her stomach.

She still felt bad.

She felt bad because she knew what she had done but she genuinely had no meaning behind it! It was a one-time thing and it meant nothing to her so Tyson truly had nothing to worry about. If he knew, it would only put a pause on things: she didn't see why the point in telling him when it wouldn't change anything; Kylie was acting like nothing had happened because nothing had happened.

She hadn't seen Carl all day.

Even though the two said about meeting up and prepping for West Point, Kylie couldn't bring herself to get up so early to face him. She called later in the day so she could say she did try to find him, but he wasn't home — to her acknowledgment. Little did she know, he had made sure to spend the whole day out of the house so he missed her visit.

He couldn't face it either.
He felt weird.

The girl jumped the fence as she approached the car and Tyson leaned over to open the car for her to climb inside. She was smiling from ear to ear, hoping she didn't look too excited for a simple car ride. She strapped her seatbelt across her chest and was greeted by a kiss on her mouth, sending a flutter to her heart and her eyes to flutter closed as she finally met his eyes. "Hi."

"Hi," the brunet greeted, smiling at her appearance.

Carl was at a West Point mixer: a gathering for cadets joining the program for them to get to know one another over cocktails. He was nervous and struggling to tie a tie but he was more nervous in case Kylie landed in and gave him a big, fat, told-you-so to his face. He was nervous as it was to see her anyway, not bearing the idea of his awkwardness making things more awkward. He was glad he had the mixer tonight - spending time getting to know other recruits would sure take his mind off it all.

He still felt a little bad, though, for avoiding her all day. What if she was genuinely looking around for him?

She was in the car, laughing at Tyson's story at his academy and how some nutjobs were trying out for the profession. They were also reflecting on their time at high school and their opinions on their past peers who always seemed to get up to strange shit. It was nice just to talk. "Don't you remember that girl who convinced everybody she was definitely going to fuck our teacher if he failed her next paper?"