Chapter 7- "Heart connection..."

"I fell in love the way all fall asleep; slowly and then all at once." - Manik Malhotra

Flashback:

Nandini and I were walking along the corridor. Most of the time, she remains silent. I know she is a reticent person but somehow her calmness and silence increase when she is around me. It sometimes pushes me to question her. I look at her and ask in a composed tone,

"Nandini, can I ask you something?"

She meets my eyes and bobs with a smile.

"Are you happy with me? You are not loving me nolens volens, right?"

My words form a deep 'V' in between her smooth forehead.

"What do you mean? Did I give you any scope to feel this?"

She counter-questions. I stare down. Should I say?

"You...you...I feel you never get open to me. You remain so silent and quiet. I can't read your mind."

I finally vent out my doubt. Suddenly, she grips my wrist and pulls me to a vacant room. I follow her in surprise. This is quite different from her usual composed nature. She makes me stand straight in front of me and places my hand on her heart. I can feel the softness of her mound. A tremor passes through my veins.

"Love connects hearts, Manik. So, you should try to feel its beats. Dimag se to sochna hota hain.(We use our brain to judge and evaluate) And we can't love by judgment and evaluation. I may remain silent. I might never say how much I love you but that doesn't mean I am compromising in this relationship. But if you need to feel my assent then here it is. I love you, Manik Malhotra from every beat of my heart."

She concludes with a trembling voice and rises up herself by standing on her toes to reach my face. Her hands snake my nape and I lean a bit to that pulls. In the next moment, she sinks her soft lips into mine. I didn't expect this unusual gesture but it feels heavenly. I warp my ardent hands around her waist and lift her an inch from the floor. Our lips remain fused for some blissful moments.

"Meri rahain tere tak hai (All my paths lead to you)

Tujhpe hi toh mera haq hai (You are the one I have rights at)

It's truly said, a shy girl always set the soul of a bad boy on fire. She is my death for sure. I sink my fervent lips more into hers.

Present time:

"I was so right, Nandini. You are actually my death. Congratulations! You made a smiling face silent. So, silent that I only can't hear my heartbeat some time. No surprise. A dead man doesn't have a beating heart either."

I scoff out. Suddenly, my phone rings. These people won't let me even breathe in peace. I pick up the call this time. Dr Nagpal says in a commanding tone,

"Come to the hospital, Manik. We need to talk."

"There is no use of discussing, Sir. I am not going to apologise or admit my fault because I don't think I did any mistakes in my work. The patient is fit and out of danger and that was my deliverable."

I place my point adamantly. Dr Nagpal sounds authoritative,

"That's not enough. And the main problem with you is you act too rebellious all the time."

"I am not a rebel without a cause, Sir. Thanks to my patience that I picked up the surgical knife instead of a hand blade."

I reply with a snicker. Dr Nagpal chides at me,