Chapter 10 - "Trust her, trust her not..."

"Love is a misunderstanding between two fools."

I perch on the bed edge and ignite a cigarette. Navya keeps looking at me for a while. It seems that she wants to nab the cigarette from my mouth and throw it right now but simultaneously, she is in the dilemma if it would be any good to mess with an insane person multiple times. Eventually, she chooses to pinch me with her not so friendly words.

"Time and experience or your impulse and uncontrollable anger? If you didn't do that stupid thing that day then your story would have been something else for sure."

Her voice is laced with frustration. Frustration for whom? For me or for Nandini.

"Of course, my anger is a perennial villain in this unfruitful love story. Or I should say you are the constant supporter of that cheater."

I couldn't finish and she almost jumps on me.

"SHUT UP. Just shut up. It's not she who is the cheater. It's you who cheated on her with her cousin. She told me everything. She came to you. She came to you for help while you were enjoying with Aliya in your bedroom. Shame on you."

Abhorrence is palpable in her voice. I purposely release some puff on her face and snigger. She crunches her nose in disgust.

"She came to invite me in her marriage. So, I gifted her a shock. Why? Only she can play with someone's emotion? I can't? Tit for tat. Deceit for deceit. The score is settled, Ms Navya Naik. Your innocent, goddess of kindness got what she deserves. Don't blame my anger or impulse."

I mouth in satisfaction and place my head on the pillow. My head is throbbing with pain and irritation. Navya scoffs at my ignorant attitude and utters,

"You know until now; I had a doubt about your attitude that maybe...maybe you are not solely responsible for your self-destruction. But today you proved me wrong. Love depends on trust. Once you trusted her and stood against the whole college. But you didn't trust her when she stood against her family for you. She didn't destroy you that you always claim but you destroyed yourself. Simultaneously, you destroyed her life too. I hope she is happy with her family, with her husband. Because you never deserved her."

She grabs her bag more tightly and storms out of the room slamming the door on my face. Her words are still hammering my head.

"Once you trusted her and stood against the whole college."

Yes, I did. I remember the day when she was on the verge of breaking.

Flashback:

"We don't know anything. She stole and leaked the question paper. She has played with hundred of students' careers and lives. The college authority has to rusticate Nandini Murthy from this college. She has no right to study here. Throw her out at once...Throw her...Throw her...Throw her...."

The college campus is vibrating with chaotic sound. I roam my eyes on the crowd approaching the Dean's room. Cabir nudges me and whispers,

"What to do, Manik? I think they are coming to us. Because they know that Nandini is your girlfriend. They won't spare us too, Man. Just look at them. They are looking like zombies. Bloodthirsty."

Seriously? This guy can't even take a serious issue seriously. I glare at my best friend. Right now, I want to shut his mouth with a bunch of five. But I have other important things to do. And that is to save Nandini from this hostile mob and clear this misunderstanding. Of course, it's a big misunderstanding. Otherwise, how a girl like Nandini can plan such a big scam? But to prove that, I have to meet her first. Before the college authority gets pressurized and takes any wrong decision, I have to find out the truth. I pull Cabir by his elbow and cover ourselves behind a pillar.