Chapter 26 - "A way to forgotten love..."

"It's not love, if not hurts,

Listen to the pieces

That a broken heart deserts."

A week passed like a day. I can't remember what exactly was happening around me because I was totally engrossed in my work to keep my baby alive. The ICU became my home and my son was my sole responsibility. After that argument and emotional outburst, Nandini and I are purposely avoiding each other. It's truly said, when we have so many questions and very few answers, we often seek escape.

"Manik, I have something to discuss. Can you come to my cabin?"

Dr Nagpal enters the ICU while I was monitoring Manan. He is now quite stable and I am ready to shift him to NICU. With a puzzled face, I nod and within 10 minutes we reach his room. Dr Nagpal gestures for me to take the seat opposite him.

"Manik, it's time to take some decisions."

He sounds serious. I confusedly ask,

"Decision? About what?"

"About your son. Look Manik, it's completely your personal matter and I probably shouldn't intervene but I see you like my own son and it's also a question of an innocent life. I don't want him to suffer because of his parents' turbulent relationship."

He pauses for a moment and then asks concernedly,

"Have you thought anything about his nursing and take care? Will...ahemm...Nandini take him with her?"

"No way, she is not capable of taking care of him. I have seen what she did. I almost lost him. He will stay with me. No question is about that."

I counter impatiently. I can't take another risk on his life. Dr Nagpal was observing me without any reaction. Now, he exhales deeply and mouths,

"You are making the same mistake, Manik. You can't control everything by force. Why should she allow you to take her son? She is his mother. Agreed that she couldn't take good care of him but that doesn't mean she lost her right to her baby. And the bitter truth is, you don't have any legal right to your child. I know you both are not married."

I almost leap up from my seat and chide,

"That doesn't lessen my connection to my baby. You all blame me. I am a bad guy, I am irresponsible, I am an alcoholic, I am a rebel. Yes, I am all of these but not without a cause. It's easy to point a finger at someone, Sir but it's difficult to count the remaining which are pointing at you. I know, I did mistakes, I did terrible mistakes but kaya karu use sudharnekeliye? (What should I do to rectify those?) Phasi lagalu yah zinda jaladu khudko? (Should I hang myself or burn myself alive?)"

I am shivering with anger and frustration. Dr Nagpal gets up from his seat. His eyes have empathy. Just then, someone knocks at his door and before getting the permission enters the room. Nandini. Her eyes are drenched with worry and fear.

"Where is my son? Nurse said he has been sifted from ICU to the nursery. But I couldn't find him there. Where is he?"

Her voice is laced with tension, fear, pain and anticipation. Dr Nagpal looks at me. His eyes have the unsaid question, "Can you compensate for this motherly love?" I turn to hide my exasperation. He concentrates on Nandini and asks her to sit. Nandini roams her bewildered eyes on us and eventually slouches on a chair. She is looking pale and feeble. I feel a pang at the left side of my chest.

"I was wondering to call you, Nandini. Sorry, can I call you by your name? You are too young to be addressed by any fancy addition like ma'am or Dr...ha...ha."

Dr Nagpal laughs. I know he is trying to calm her down. Nandini curves her lips with a formal smile. But her eyes are still clouded with worry. I am forced to pacify her,

"Manan has recovered. There is no complication right now. I told the nurse to shift him to NICU just for extra care."

She jumps to the conclusion,

"So, can I take him home?"

I was about to burst out but Dr Nagpal intervenes,

"That is the exact topic I wanted to discuss with both of you. Manan needs both of you. A mother's love and a father's care. Can he get both? At least for some months until his premature health condition gets settled?"

....................................

A few hours passed. Nandini and I are sitting in Dr Nagpal's cabin. He left us alone to take a mutual decision about Manan. After a prolonged lecture and enlightenment, Nandini agreed to take my support. However, at one point we got stuck. Who will stay at whose place? I ask sternly,

"I can't stay at your place. It will be very far from my hospital."

"So, you want me to stay at your flat? And what will be my identity?

She utters sarcastically. She doesn't waste a single chance to taunt me. I retort.

"Mrs Nandini Murthy Hebbar. Don't forget you are still married to him."

She shoots daggers at me. I giggle inwardly.

"Look Nandini, we are living in the twenty-first century where nobody has time to poke their nose in other's life. So, it hardly matters what identity you are staying at my place with. We are doing it for our son and that should be our priority. So, let's keep aside our personal preferences. Come to my place. It will be easy for both of us."

I try to convince her maturely. She takes some time and then asks again. But I didn't expect this question.

"What will Aliya think?"

I squint my eyes and counter,

"What will she think? Why even will she think? Are you still thinking that Aliya and I had something? Come on, Nandini! You may not believe me but you should at least believe your cousin. And for your kind information, I didn't have any other relationship with anyone apart from you. Nor even after you. Yes, I went to a prostitute but unfortunately, she also lectured me about true love."

I scoff,

"True love! Who better than me knows the true face of true love? It only destroys us. Slowly and leaves an insidious effect."

Instead of countering my philosophy, Nandini asks me with a gaped mouth,

"You went to a prostitute! How could you?"

"I was drunk and I was angry. Why? You also went to a man...that is your so-called husband."

I sound ridiculous. She flares her nose and yells,

"Are these two things the same? Manik you are incorrigible, disgusting, nasty..."

I continue her adjectives,

"Horrible, hopeless, rude, despo, the worst person to live with...blah...blah...blah...can we stop this childish word game and concentrate on the main topic?"

I inhale carefully.

"Are you ready to shift to my place?"

I throw the ball in her court. She makes a bad facial expression and eventually utters a low yes.

"What did you say? No?"

I take the chance to irritate her. She chides,

"YES...UNFORTUNATELY. But just for 6 months until my son gets completely well."

I murmur under my breath,

"Just for 6 months until I mend my mistakes."

Author's note: From the next chapter some light, funny and emotional encounters of Manan will be seen. It's a small update but I think it is crisp and important.