Chapter 13 - "Love can't be hidden..."

"Love is pure, love is care

But it becomes addictive

When can't be shared..."

Nandini and I knew that we love each other. We might not utter those three words so often but we knew that living without each other is impossible now for both of us. Most of the college knew our relationship. Our friends were very much aware of that feeling. However, Nandini was not ready to talk to her father about me. The reason was of course me and my past not so pleasant phone encounter with Mr Chandresh Murthy. I knew that Nandini was in a dilemma. She neither wanted to hurt her father nor wanted to hide her love for me. In this situation, the only way was my apology to Mr Murthy. For the first time I, Manik Malhotra was ready to bend on my knees for my love. Love is manipulative. Isn't it? It can make even rise the Sun from the west.

Flashback:

"Are you sure you want to do this? Look! If you want, I can come with you."

Cabir shows his eagerness. I take the last puff of the cigarette and throw it aside.

"Yeah, I am sure. Because I have no other option. She is fearing to tell her father and I don't want to hide it anymore. So, the last option is facing the situation and I want to face it alone."

I sound clear and determined. Cabir circles his lips in an 'O' shape and whistles in mirth.

"For the first time I am hearing that Manik Malhotra has no other option...ha...ha...funny, Bro. Pyaar tumhe kis more pe le aya...aaa? (Where did love bring you?) Ke dil kare hai...koi yeh bataye kya hoga...(Heart is sighing and saying if someone can tell what will happen.)"

He sings some Bollywood song. Drama queen clown. I glare at him and admonish,

"It fits on you too. Navya has made you a henpecked husband without marriage. I don't know what will happen when you actually will get married to that lady Hitler."

He keeps on staring at me with a pout as if he is actually visualizing his tormented married life and then continues,

"Okay, the score is settled. Now, tell me what will you say to Nandini's Dad? I mean you must not directly say that you love Nandini and want to marry her. No...you can't."

He wobbles his head with conviction. I frown at him and counter,

"Why can't I? In fact, I am going to say exactly the same thing. What is the point to beat around the bushes? I am not going there to give a job interview."

"It's like a job interview, Bro. You are applying for the post of his son-in-law. He is the boss and you are the candidate."

He mouths in an amusing manner. I know as long as I will be here, he will be pulling my leg like this. So, better to ignore this hackler. I jump down from the balcony wall and bid bye to him. I have to inform Nandini that I am going to meet her Dad today. I know it will be tough to convince her but I am a pro. I exit whistling in a light mood.

......................................

However, even after searching for the last one hour, I couldn't find Nandini anywhere. I hope Cabir didn't tell her anything. After searching for another half an hour and making numerous unreceived calls, I decide to land up at her house without informing her. Will see whatever happens. I ride the bike, wear the helmet and kick to start. Within half an hour, it stops in front of Nandini's house. I pull out the helmet and roam my eyes all around. Nobody is there. Especially that overprotective neighbour Rakshit. Of course, the shock he got that day; I am sure he will think hundred times before messing with me again. I park my bike and approach the main gate. My eyes fall on the closed door. There is no lock outside. I hope anybody is there inside. As my finger was about to touch the calling bell, someone yanks me by my elbow and within a minute, I am pulled to the backyard of the house.

"Nandini, you? What happened? Where were you? Why didn't you pick up my calls? Why are you pulling me? Listen, I want to meet your Dad. It's urgent."

I vent in on go and stop for breathing. She is still clutching my wrist in her strong grip. Tension is evident on her face.

"What urgent? Why didn't you tell me that you are coming here?"

She shoots her worry. I flare my nostrils and contradict,

"That's why I was calling you. I even searched for you on the campus so that we can come over here together."

"Really? We were together for the entire morning. You could have told me that time. Or it just came to your mind instantly?"

She sounds sure. I turn my face to another side. She is right to guess. It was an instant decision.

"What is urgent?"

She asks again. I look at her eyes and mouth,

"I want to tell him that I love you and you love me too. He has to accept our relationship."

"And you think he will appreciate your honesty and accept you then and there?"

Taunt is prevalent in her tone. I frown at her and counter,

"What's the problem with that? Have I told any lie? Don't we love each other?"

She leaves my hand and shakes her hands in frustration.

"I am not saying that. But it's not the right time and way to tell him."

Her words fuel my anger more. I grab her with elbows and pull her near to me. My voice crosses its decent limit.

"Then what would be the right time according to you? You haven't the guts to face your father. Nor you are allowing me to meet him. Is he your father or any dictator? When are you going to tell him about us? The day when somebody else will be tying the nuptial chain to your neck? Tell me when? What is the proper time and way to tell that I love you, damn it?"

"Manik you are hurting me. You are taking me wrong. Just see the way you are behaving. Anger sits on your nose. Always. And that I fear about you. I am not scared of my Appa but I am scared of the way you may approach him. It will spoil everything, Manik. Calm down."

Her words simmer down my rage. I look at my grip on her hands and eventually move mine from them. She rubs the area to soothe the chafe. I rest my hands on either side of my waist and keep looking in another direction. It's better to give me some time to normalize my agitation. Nandini nears me and cups my face to turn it. She looks into my eyes and utters in an intense voice,

"I am scared of losing you. Please, don't do anything that can make the situation harder. I love you and never doubt this truth."

Her lips are quivering as she is trying to stop the tears brimming her eyes. My heart feels a sharp pang. I hate tears in these eyes. My fingers get dug in her lush hair. I tug her by the nape and sink my lips into hers. The teardrops escape her eyes and touch my lips, leaving a salty taste. I keep on sucking her petals, forgetting the place and time until a swish makes our conscience alert. Nandini withdraws her mouth from mine and turns to locate the source of the sound and the sight moors her to the place. She immediately pushes me and distants herself from my proximity.

"Appa..."

Her timid voice makes me turn my face to look at the person who is now standing like a statue in front of us. Mr Chandresh Murthy. Whom I came to meet. But definitely not in this state. However, it is truly said, we can't avoid our tragedy.

Author's note: Those who are eager for Manan confrontation, have to keep patience. There are 2-3 more chapters of flashbacks to clear the past in which situation Manik and Nandini got separated. It's necessary to keep the flow and track. So, please wait and enjoy the journey. 🙏❤