Chapter 15 - "Uncanny connection..."

"I don't care if life is a hell..

Love is worse

A doom a curse

That you spell.

I don't care how much you hate

I never cry that

You aren't in my fate...

Life is hell and I love it,

Burning myself bit by bit..."

I was humming the song lyrics when I collide with somebody. Fuck, Man! Is he drunk or me? I was about to abuse the person when he says in an exasperated voice,

"Manik, where were you? How could you hide this sensitive matter from me? Did Dr Nagpal tell you any detail? Have you checked the baby? For God's sake, Manik. Say something."

He ultimately stopped and I adjust my hazy gaze on Cabir's face. He is such a tattler.

"If you allow me then I can say something."

I took a brief pause and add,

"No, I just came. In fact, Dr Nagpal literally forced me to come. The entire night that lady...Mrs Hebbar made me awake. She spoilt my entire sleep. And now this drama. Life is hell, Man."

I put my hand inside my pocket to take out the cask. Cabir suddenly claws my wrist. His grip is iron tight. I look into his eyes. They have disgust and pain both.

"That Mrs Hebbar is Nandini. And that baby is hers. Don't you have any human heart? He is an innocent baby. At least keep him away from your hatred."

His voice trembles a bit. Maybe he is trying to gulp his emotion. I don't shift my eyes from his and hiss out.

"He is an innocent baby who is the sign of her mother's innocence. What about that? Did your human heart feel any difference? I saved her life, her baby's life. I think that is enough proof of a human heart. Rest, I am not a saint. Neither I want to pretend to be a God of forgiveness. She is only Mrs Nandini Hebbar for me. The girl whom I knew doesn't exist for me anymore. It's a closed chapter."

I free my hand with a jerk and repeat with a hand gesture,

"CLOSED."

Saying this I turn on my heels but again flip to give him the last dose.

"Still, I am going to serve my duty. Because Manik Malhotra never compromises with his profession. See you Dr Cabir Dhawan. Save your human heart. People need it to toy with."

.................................

I enter the children's ward. A nurse rushes at me and informs me in haste,

"That baby is having a breathing problem, Sir. We have shifted him to the incubator section."

"And his mother."

I don't know why did I ask this question? I hardly care. She states in a worried tone,

"She gained her sense but we gave her tranquillizer. She is in pain."

I scoff under my breath and ask her to show the incubator that the baby is kept in. In 5 minutes, we reach the place. Although I myself took out him from his mother's womb, for the first time I look at him consciously. He is a tiny pink soft toy. At least I find him so. An oxygen tube is attached to his nose. The irregular fall and rise of his chest is indicating that he is having problems with breathing. Painful sight and my human heart also feels a sharp pang. I carefully open the incubator door and rest my palm on his chest. It is throbbing frailly under my palm. Soft and fragile. I feel an uncanny connection to this tiny soul. Is it because he is connected to her? The thought brings me back to reality. I have come here to do my duty. He is nothing but a patient and I am a duty-bound doctor. I withdraw my hand from his chest and trail my index finger along with his jawbone. Just to confirm if he is responding. Surprisingly he smiles with his teethless mouth. The nurse leaves a sigh of relief.

"For the first time, he smiled, Sir. Otherwise, he neither smiled nor cried till now."

She lets me know. I reply without shifting my eyes from his smiling face.

"Slow down the oxygen flow. Otherwise, it will harm his delicate lungs. I think he has an infection in his trachea. I am giving some medicine. It should help. Still, consult with Dr Rachna. A paediatrician can handle it more efficiently."

I sound professional.

"One more thing.."

I add,

"When his mother gets her sense, transfer his incubator to her room. It will help him to recover soon. Mother's presence is important for the baby."

The nurse doesn't reply and I turn at her. Her eyes have a surprise. Did I sound unusual? Oh yes! I usually don't give extra advice. Emotional one not for sure.

"Sir, would you mind examining Mrs Nandini? Dr Nagpal said..."

I don't let her finish and vent out my exasperation.

"That it's my duty to continue the case because I operated on her. Can you tell me one thing? Does this hospital have any other efficient doctor or it is running on my solo responsibilities? Disgusting!"

She stares down carefully. I glance at the baby once more and get out of the room.

.........................................

With a hesitant heart, I enter the room where Nandini has been kept. Usually, she is supposed to be in the general ward as the hospital is not being paid anything for her treatment. She is still unconscious and nobody has come yet to bear the responsibilities. However, in her I card, her profession is mentioned as a doctor. So, she is getting this privilege. I am wondering why did she come over here? I don't know if she is staying in Delhi only after her marriage. Nor do I know where her father is. If she is married, has a family, and was in her advanced stage of pregnancy then why didn't anybody come yet to get any news of hers? Isn't it strange? Wondering all these, I haven't realised when I near her bed and unmindfully place my palm on her forehead. She has a fever. Normal after C-section but not good for her. It can be a sign of septicaemia. Lines of worry become visible on my forehead. I attach my stetho to my ears, remove the sheet from her upper chest and place the diagram on her chest. My heart skips some beats. After a long time, I heard her heartbeat. It's irregular and slow. I look at her closed eyes. The lashes are quivering. Suddenly some inaudible mumbles hit my eardrum. She is saying something. I scoot forward and near my face to hear them.

"My ba..by...Pain...ummm...Ma...nik..."

The last word makes me push myself backwards in sheer astonishment. Did she really utter that word? I again lean forward with a throbbing heart.

"Ma...nik...Please...sa...ve him...uffff..."

No, there is no mistake. She utters my name only. I helplessly look here and there. Maybe I need someone to take her back in sense. I want to talk to her. I have so many to know. Only then, she opens her eyes. They are hazy and red but they are more than that.

"Nandini..."

I mouth without my knowledge. Her gaze shifts to me. Some moments of silence pass. Tears roll down from the corner of her eyes. After so many months, I heard her voice,

"My baby..?"

Author's note: This encounter will continue. Some revelation and some flashbacks will be there. So, keep reading. 🙏❤