Chapter 11 - "The retrospection..."

"You have set my heart on fire.

And my lips learnt to say 'I hate you'

As a perfect liar."

Her skin is glowing like a white conch illuminated in the tangerine twilight sunray. The soft silky black tresses are lapping and tickling her smooth apple cheeks. My fingers automatically reach her face and uncover her seraphic face from the curtain of those jet-black hair. She looks at me through those thick eyelashes.

"She has stars in her eyes

And poetry on her lips

She is the girl

Who can bring me

On my humble knees..."

"Nandini...if I know what love is, it is because of you."

I whisper digging my nose tip in the crook of her neck. I can feel her throbbing pulse against my skin. She shivers a bit and mumbles in a deep voice,

"I am going to get married. Forget me...."

"Forget me...forget me...forget me..."

Someone jostles me and I unfurl my eyes with a jerk.

"Nandini..."

A vacant wail unknowingly comes out of my open mouth. It was a dream. No, it was a nightmare. I get up and fist my unruly hair. Last night after Navya left, I was drinking until the early birds started chirping to tell me that a new dawn has come. I kept on drinking until Nandini fades out of my mind. However, nowadays only alcohol is not being enough to lose my mind. I need stuff. I get down from the bed and enter the bathroom. After opening the cabinet, I take out the plastic packet. The quantity ignites my fume.

"Fuck! I need more."

I abuse under my surging breath. But right now, I have to manage with this small quantity of this booze. I come to my room again and empty the packet on the glass table. It makes a small pile of white dust on the surface. I pull out the credit card and make two lines out of the powder. I bend down and by pressing one nostril, I inhale one of the lines. The pungent smell straight hits my brain. Nausea churns my stomach. I storm to the bathroom and empty my stomach to the washbasin. Suddenly, a black curtain drops in front of my eyes and I collapse on the wet floor.

....................................

Some faint words are intruding my ears. I try to open my heavy eyelids but it seems to be the most difficult work at this moment.

"Thankfully, he kept the main door open. Otherwise,...."

Someone sounds snoop.

"I answered your call and let you know. He never mixes up with anybody you know. Should I call a doctor?"

One more person barks. God! Why are so many people in my room? I hate crowd. Only then, a known voice pours into my ears.

"No need. I am a doctor. I will take care of him. Thank you all for the help. He must have had a blackout because of low BP. I will take care."

Low BP? Really? My belly crunches with amusement. Cabir's helpless try to cover my deed makes me hum.

"Ummm...ahhh.."

"Manik...Manik...are you feeling okay?"

He places his palm on my forehead and mouths in a concerned tone. I slowly open my eyes and find his worried face leaning on me. I mumble in a dramatic tone,