Chapter 22 - "Ocean of mistakes..."

"Past is bitter, full of fault,

It is frozen, makes me halt."

Right now, Aliya and I are sitting in her room. Since Nandini left their life, Aliya has been staying with Chandresh Murthy because he was diagnosed with first-stage of dementia. He couldn't recognise me not only because of my look.

"Now, tell me why are you blaming me for your break up with Nandini? How am I supposed to be in the picture?"

Aliya sounds hurt and agitated at the same time. My eyes fall on the closed door where Chandresh Murthy is taking rest. Before we came to Aliya's room, she gave him medicine and made him lie on the bed. Aliya observes my concentration and utters in a convincing tone,

"Don't worry. Uncle won't come. And if he comes, he won't understand what's the topic. This disease has made him so vulnerable."

She sounds downcast.

"I am not thinking of that. I am just trying to understand how a strong personality like him can become so weak. I clearly remember how he reacted that day when I came to Nandini's house to ask why her father is getting her married to another guy when he knows that we love each other. But as usual, I lost my temper and Nandini..."

Aliya finishes my words,

"And Nandini asked you to leave. You didn't even give her a chance to understand why you are angry. You didn't give her a chance to explain that it was not her but me for whom they are searching for a suitable groom. You just heard something and jumped to a conclusion. Chandresh Uncle might give his consent for your relationship with Nandini but as usual, you just ruined everything. After that, he forced Nandini to get married to Smaran as he was no trust left for you. Still, Nandini fought for you. She considered her outburst as a fault and was ready to go to you. But..."

She abruptly halts. I ask her curiously,

"But?"

Aliya's jaws get hard. She sternly retorts,

"That you should say. What happened between you both is that she broke up with you and agreed to get married to Smaran. I know you were the reason and here you are putting all blame on me."

She mouths angrily. I turn my face to ignore her agitation. Yes, I am the person to be blamed for breaking Nandini's trust but Aliya also played a role in it. Maybe ignorantly and indirectly but it is true.

"You remembered the day I saved you from some ruffian rowdy boys when you were coming back from your college."

I ask without turning back to her. She takes a deep sigh and says,

"Yes, and I owe you this. Maybe for that reason, I couldn't consider you ever the sole responsible for this breakup. A boy who cares for another girl's honour can't disrespect his love. You not only saved me that day but got me to your hostel to make me feel better. I was so panicked that I vomited. You gave me your shirt and I changed. But after that, I don't know what happened. Maybe I got fainted in the bathroom and you carried me to the bed. I guessed it because my clothes were wet. In the evening I felt a bit better. You made coffee for me. Made me feel relaxed. That day you cared for me like a true friend."

"You only know that much, Aliya. But during your unconsciousness, something more happened."

I eye her. My voice has desperation. Desperation for facing the truth. My mistake which I did due to my misunderstanding and anger. Aliya's eyes become timid. She asks in a shaky voice,

"Something more? What do you mean by that?"

She wraps herself which indicates her insecurity. A nonchalant smile beams on my lips.