Chapter 20 - "Facing the past..."

"Why are you shouting, Man? I am telling the truth. I am the father of her son."

I sound irritated. Why doesn't he believe me?

"Did she tell this to you?"

Cabir mouths with suspicion. I keep mum for some seconds and then wobble in negative with folded lips. Cabir bends his head and remains like this for a moment. Then he utters in a flat tone,

"Look, Manik. I know you are still head over heels for Nandini but that doesn't mean you will cook up these stories. Come on, she has moved on in her life and you should do it too. But here you keep on cursing her and ruining your life. Let her be at peace in her life. Why do you care whether she is with her husband or not, with her family or not, if she is happy or not? You hate her, right? Then why do you even bother? She didn't admit but you are assuming that her baby is yours. Come on, Manik! There should be some limit to obsession. Yes, you are obsessed with Nandini. Neither you can accept her nor you can reject her. She has become like a never healed wound for you. Why don't you let her go from your fucked up life?"

"Because she again came into my fucked-up life to make it more fucked up. And don't say that I am obsessed with her. No...I am obsessed with my mental peace and I won't be in peace until I get closure with her. And for your kind information if she didn't accept that I am her child's father then nor did she deny it. And I am sure her silence is a yes."

I spurt in one go while fisting the cement bench to vent out my frustration.

"Where did you go, Nandini? I need my answers."

My unrest mind chides. Cabir places his hand on my shoulder and mutters composedly,

"Closure! And what makes you so sure that she will give you that closure after whatever you did to her? She equally hates you, Man and she has the reason too. If you want her answer then you also have to spill your guts. And after that, you both will regrate for your foolishness."

His words make me stunt for some moment. Does he know but how? Maybe he read my eyes and gives a pale smile.

"Manik, I am your friend. Best friend...and a best friend knows his best friend in and out. You both are responsible for this mess. If she did the mistake to leave your side then you did the mistake to make her do so by your foolish lie. Aliya and you never had anything. You lied about that horrible thing just to prove that not only she but you also can break her heart. But at the end of the day, who is suffering? You both. She can't admit that her baby is yours if that is true nor you can claim that you are the father of that innocent soul. Love is not as complicated, my friend as we make it."

He pauses for a brief moment and then adds,

"Before leaving she met me. She lives alone in an apartment in Noida. I will give you the address. But I would suggest you meet her father first. Try to know what exactly happened after her marriage to Smaran. Why are they not staying together though she uses her husband's surname? Why doesn't she even live with her father? You should know everything before you confront her for closure."

For some seconds I try to grok his words and gradually all become crystal clear to me.

"That means you knew all things. You knew that I am not assuming anything about Manan. Then why were you behaving like a jerk?"

I hold his collar and shake him while mouthing exasperatedly. He doesn't try to free himself from my hold but rather retorts with a mischievous smile,

"Because to deal with a jerk like you one has to be a jerk. I just wanted the confession that you are still into her. Her happiness, tears and lies still affect you. How many times you deny this. Now, leave my collar and go after her to make her admit the truth. Otherwise, I could change my mind at any moment. Don't forget I have her address."

I squint my eyes at him. He is a bigger jerk than me.

"YOU..!"

I punch him lightly on his jaw. He is my best friend. I have this right to do so. He squalls in fake pain. I grab him in my tight hug. Nandini, we already have lost so many precious times of our life but I can't let it go like this. Yes, we both are responsible for this mess but one has to initiate to mend it in the right way. If it is not you then it will be me.

.......................................

Sometimes past comes in front of you without any alarm and makes you bewildered. Neither you can avoid it nor face it with full determination. Right now, my position is exactly like this. I didn't know if Nandini's father still lives in their previous house or not but I took a chance and it became fruitful. I am standing at the threshold of a closed door where I have so many bitter memories. Mr Chandresh Murthy...the name is still shining on the nameplate. My jaws get hard. I inhale sharply and press the doorbell. Some moments of silence and wait pass and finally, someone opens the door. Well, I didn't expect her in front of me.

"Manik..!"

Aliya sounds surprised and her expression is quite anticipated. We are meeting after a long. The day she was molested by some rowdies on the way back home from her college. I can remember the day vividly. Because that was the day I uttered the biggest lie of my life just to win the game with Nandini.

Flashback:

After that unexpected tryst in my hostel room, I expected that all will be fine between Nandini and me. She will try to convince her father about me and I also will meet him to apologise. I really want to mend all misunderstandings. I am in the last year of my college. After that, I don't know where will I get the opportunity to complete my internship. It can be out of Delhi too and I don't want to leave Nandini amidst any uncertainty. Not at all after whatever happened between us. I was smiling unmindfully when a call breaks my reverie.

"You are sitting over here and I am searching for you like a mad."

Cabir mouths with light panting. I stare up and his expression makes the smile on my face disappear.

"Why? What happened?"

I ask in a worried voice. Cabir takes some time to muster his words and then utters in a surprised tone,

"Did you meet or talk to Nandini today?"

His tone had something that forces me to leap up from my seat.

"No...but what happened? Why are you asking?"

I ask with a hitched heart. Cabir scratches his nape to shun his hesitance and eventually utters,

"I think she is getting married. Navya went to her home and there she saw a family who might come to see Nandini."

Something gets torn in my mind and I run my trembling fingers through my hair.

"You can't do this Mr Chandresh Murthy. You can't snatch my love from me."

My mind screams inwardly. Without looking back, I rush to my bike. Cabir's restless call, Manik...Manik... couldn't stop my pace.

Author's note: The flashback will continue and you all will get to know what exactly separated Manan. Till then, enjoy the chapter and the offer is still open. 1.5k followers = Double update. 👍😉😉