Chapter 27 - "Nothing's gonna change my love for you..."

"If I had to live my life without you near me
The days would all be empty..."

The light music and the lyrics coming from the living room lighten up my mood. It's 8 o'clock in the morning. The electric kettle is whistling in front of me, telling me that the water is ready for my relaxing morning tea. Well, after months I am starting my day with a happy note. Not with booze and cursing. The reason is Nandini and Manan. Yes, she agreed to stay with me. In her words, "Only for her son." In my words, "Only to make her feel my love for them."

"Our dreams are young and we both know
They'll take us where we want to go
Hold me now, touch me now
I don't want to live without you."

I sync my voice to the lyrics while stirring the satisfying pale brown tea liquor. Nandini and Manan are still sleeping. As far as I know, she used to be an early riser. However, people change with time. A chuckle escapes my lips. Who can imagine Manik Malhotra waking up so early in the morning and making his own tea without a frown? People change with hope too. I keep the cup on the tray and am about to leave the kitchen. However, someone obstructs my way. I stare up to meet her annoyed face.

"Why are you playing so loud music at this time?"

Complaints elude Nandini's mouth. I can't answer immediately as I was observing her drowsy face. Her eyes are red and swollen. Is it for less sleep or she was crying at night?

"Wanna have some tea?"

I ask instead. She rubs her eyes like a child which looks adorable.

"No, I don't have anything before bath. Please stop the song. Otherwise, Manan will wake up. He couldn't sleep properly last night."

She informs. I come to the living room. The singer George Benson is still singing with his intense voice,

"Nothing's gonna change my love for you
You oughta know by now how much I love you
One thing you can be sure of
I'll never ask for more than your love."

I observe her reaction from the corner of my eyes and switch off the Bluetooth speaker.

"What happened? Did he relapse with the fever again? Let me check."

I say with concern and walk toward their bedroom. By the way, this is a 1 BHK flat. So, I gave my bedroom to them while I slept in the living room on the sofa.

"No need. He is not having a fever. It's just for the change of place."

Nandini mouths to stop me and starts looking here and there as if she has more to say. I remove the bedsheet from the sofa and make myself comfortable to sip on my tea. She glances at me and then starts fidgeting with her dupatta.

"Go and take the bath. Otherwise, you won't feel fresh."

I purposely didn't ask if she wants to ask something. I want her to open up spontaneously. In any case, it is weird for her to live in my place all of a sudden. If she is coping with the situation then it's my duty to not make her uncomfortable. I know there are too many things to discuss with each other and I want this time she should initiate.

"I...mmmm...I have to tell you something."

She eventually opens up. I take a long sip of my tea and place my quizzical eyes on her. She bites her lower lip and sinks herself to the corner of the sofa.

"Can you take an off today? I have to go somewhere. Manan can't be left unattended."

She sounds hesitant. My forehead crises as I know she already has left her clinic job. Manan's nanny didn't agree to come over here and Manan needs 24x7 care.