Upstairs Alone Time

L had been sucking his thumb while he analysed Light for quite some time now, Light just stared out the window, unbothered, trying to solve the Kira case within his own mind, since it was clear the person sat in front of him had lost his.

"Let's not go downstairs today"

Light turned his head slowly to L, gawking in surprise. Take the day off? No way. Was L serious?

"Are you suggesting we simply 'don't work on the Kira case today' while people out there are 𝒅𝒚𝒊𝒏𝒈? What's gotten into you Ryuzaki??"

L, once more, raised an eyebrow. Light certainly sounded 𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚 disappointed in him.

"Of course not Light-kun, how could you assume such a thing of me?"

Light just rolled his eyes, shaking his head. L had been acting so 𝒘𝒆𝒊𝒓𝒅 recently, like he was trying his best to be EXTRA annoying. Was this just what he was like away from the task force and in his own living space? Or was there a reason fo- the boy realised he had been examining L for longer than he should've been, this could wait.
Averting his eyes so as to not be called a 'hypocrite' again, he asked L to clarify what he meant.

"I suggest the two of us work on the case here, in our quarters"

"And WHY is that exactly?"

"Do I need to clarify a reason Light-kun?"

"It would be preferable Ryuzaki, I'm not a dog on a leash that you can drag around with you to all your 'last minute decisions'. If we are going to be partners I need to be just as well informed as you"

L's eyes wondered upwards, his usual thumb grazing his bottom lip, considering Light's argument.

"I only want to spend time with Light-kun today"

Light's eyes fell out of his face before he quickly collected himself. He sighed inwardly at the dispiriting notion that L would be spending ALL of his time in the weeks to follow with Light anyway? Why on earth did this one instance matter?
He rubbed the bridge of his nose in annoyance...

"𝒘𝒉𝒚 Ryuzaki?"

"If we can't learn to function here, it will also be difficult in front of others. I believe also, we may even get double the work done...if Matsuda isn't present and causing distractions"

L had both his eyebrows raised now, in an inquiring expression. Large eyes so wide with expectancy for Light's answer, that Light could see the sclera usually concealed by droopy eyelids, making his pupils resemble large, pooling ink blotches on paper. L's appearance was...fascinating. No. No that's not it. Disturbing, seeing L excited was disturbing, two big crazy unblinking orbs, Ryuzaki was like one of those creepy collectible dolls Misa accumulated. Light didn't approve. Agreeing to spend even more alone time with L than he bargained for was less than ideal, would it mean that unnerving countenance would stay plastered on the detective's face for the rest of the day? If he disagreed, would L's eyelids go droopy with sadness again? So much so that they'd reach his toes? The musing made Light simper, what a foolish thought. In spite of its nature, Light was fond of laughing at L, his looks were versatile, you could distort them in any which way. The boy had fun comparing the detective to many a creature, object or animal that he saw fit - harmless daydreams of course, better than facing L in reality at least. Light pondered further, that possibly, if L's eyes were closed with rejection to his proposed offer, Light wouldn't have to look into his testing gaze again - making consistent eye contact with L was entering an indeterminate staring contest that few could keep up with. Hmmm, though did Light have a choice? L was as stubborn as a mule, and though it 𝒍𝒐𝒐𝒌𝒆𝒅 as if Light could fling the detective over his shoulder and forcibly carry him downstairs - this would not be the case. Dammit, anyone else would happily leap into his arms like a princess, why does L have to be so difficult? Although Light hated pandering to L's ways, the unlikely duo were wasting time that could be spent saving lives. He wasn't about to brawl with L down the multiple flights of stairs in order to get his way, it just wasn't Light's method. The Kira case was more important....so, reluctantly...

Light turned to L once more, reviewing his less dramatic expression. It seems that Ryuzaki's face was more suited to holding blank appearances.

"Light-kun?"

L sounded so heartening, Light felt sickly.

"Well, it would be a ceaseless effort to drag you down there with me Ryuzaki. It'll ought to be the two of us today"