A Sober Heart

~ 𝑶𝒏𝒆 𝑾𝒆𝒆𝒌 𝑳𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒓 ~

"Okay Light-kun...I'll begin this round since I won the previous one...

Seychelles?"

"𝑽𝒊𝒄𝒕𝒐𝒓𝒊𝒂...

Guyana?"

"𝑮𝒆𝒐𝒓𝒈𝒆𝒕𝒐𝒘𝒏...

Kosovo?"

"𝑷𝒓𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒂, unless you are counting the 𝒉𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒐𝒓𝒊𝒄 capital rather than the 𝒐𝒇𝒇𝒊𝒄𝒊𝒂𝒍 one - which is 𝑷𝒓𝒊𝒛𝒓𝒆𝒏...

Germany?"

"...𝑩𝒆𝒓𝒍𝒊𝒏, of course?
𝑰 get the point that round Light-kun...because you were running out of difficult countries...why else would you say 'Germany', unless you were struggling to think on the spot? Berlin is an easy capital to remember"

"Well that's not fair Ryuzaki?? I still said a country didn't I? Besides, you haven't given 𝒎𝒆 a country yet, that means I should automatically be given the point"

"I disagree Light-kun...the reason I haven't given you a country, is because the round has ended, the point is mine...we can start over"

"𝑵𝒐, 𝑰—"

*𝑩𝑽𝑽𝑽𝑽𝑽𝑻 𝑩𝑽𝑽𝑽𝑽𝑽𝑻 𝑩𝑽𝑽𝑽𝑽𝑽𝑻*

Luck favoured L in this moment, a phone call from Watari cut Light off in the middle of his argument.

"Yes Watari?"

Light curiously opened inquisitive ears to pry on their conversation. Just to be petty, taking a winning turn in the chess game L had decided they discarded - though the board still sat between them on the floor...because his dark eyed competitor was just one turn away from losing...and he knew it. Unfortunately for him, the detective couldn't argue back with the boy's smug smile as he took the king, as lips were busy already occupying responding words to Watari over the phone.

A stubborn mouth didn't speak, but big black eyes hardened ever so slightly at the sight. Head slowly moved side to side at a sloth's pace, demonstrating the disapproval over Light's actions. The boy had to make a grievous effort to contain his growing smile.
It was funny, how Ryuzaki gave him the small, trivial experiences, lived by most teenagers, that Light had missed out on. The things most people his age wouldn't think twice about, because they were insignificant. Barely a well known, memorable event that most would look back on, and associate with their younger years.
But Light had seen his other 'friends' take joy from the, apparently hilarious situation, where one of the boy's parents would be on the phone, and the group would be taunting him with their own ongoing conversation. Light hadn't got what was so funny before, about disrupting a phone call with some mild, background mischief - but now he'd understand. Because although it wouldn't appear so to most, Ryuzaki was definitely trying not to smile as well.

"I apologise Watari, could you repeat that again?"

Light's childish, disrupting distraction had been successful. But the call didn't last too long after. L replied with an interested 'oh? I see' as he stroked his bottom lip - the action that sent the detective spiralling into his own world of analytics. Then Watari said something Light could not discern, and the conversation ended on a 'yes, you may' from Ryuzaki.

"That move Light-kun, it doesn't count, as we had officially ended the game"

"I'll give you 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓 point for Berlin, if you give me 𝒎𝒊𝒏𝒆 for this chess game?"