Inevitable Mortality

"Ryuzaki, I know you're not feeling up to it, but come over here for a second"

If it weren't for Light and his body. Life would be very boring. The pair sat at the green desk. As they had done, day, after day, after day. The detective, as usual—Light put it quite perfectly—was 𝒏𝒐𝒕 feeling up to it. The boy had been particularly engaged today. More so with the small words on his computer screen, rather than the mumbling whispers that L sent his way in order to unnerve him into trembling arousal. So the detective, this time, had been incredibly despondent; crouched facing the back of his chair and sulking like a child.

Turning to look at Light's face however, it did intrigue him. Above warm brown eyes, was a frown - forming a concentrating look of absorption. L saw his brain's inner workings as they exuded the boy's aura of grey blue cogitation. Light had directed his priceless attention through a thick layer of fog, in which the task force—including L himself—could not see past. It obstructed their goal; the destination of justice. But 𝑳𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 saw. His gaze fixed upon a target so specific that L craved to also see what it was. What was the thing occupying the boy's mind that was so engrossing? So engrossing that in speaking, Light hadn't looked to his friend 𝒐𝒏𝒄𝒆?
The detective swiftly rolled the wheels of his seat with a small push, until he sat next to his suspect. His head loomed a little over Light's left shoulder as they both began to study the subject in need of a second opinion.

"Take a close look at this, it can't be coincidence"

L leaned his torso further toward the compelling sight. A list of 𝑲𝒊𝒓𝒂 victims?

"All of them were prominent Japanese businessmen; CEO's who's companies are leaders in their respective industries. In just over a month they 𝒂𝒍𝒍 died of heart attacks.
As expected there's been a general downturn in the market with the exception of Yotsuba. In other words, their deaths have worked in Yotsuba's favour. Looking back there's been thirteen similar deaths in the past three months...your thoughts?"

Light grew inwardly excited, looking over to L who's formidably alluring stare analysed the screen in awe. His eyes hadn't been this engaged with the case in weeks. The boy's skin suddenly felt empty - no longer held down by the weight of his friend's absorption. But it was pleasant, to be an onlooker to how someone 𝒆𝒍𝒔𝒆, would witness L's eyes in wonder. If anyone were to be a spectator to how the detective appreciated his suspect in this way, it would perhaps be obvious.
L's finger pressed into his lips - a sign of his deep enthralment. Light was happy for him. 

"Based on this I can only conclude that Kira is supporting Yotsuba"

L's body leaned closer still. Light wondered whether he would fall into his lap, or perhaps he aimed for the screen itself - leaping into it, past the wall of pixels to get a closer look. The boy secretly hoped L didn't possess such a doltish ability. They were chained, so if his friend were to relocate into this new, digital existence, Light would no doubt be reluctantly joining him. He stared at a screen so much, the boy theorised Ryuzaki already classed this world as his norm. L probably lived in pixels, he probably 𝒅𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒎𝒆𝒅 them. Light possibly wouldn't look as appealing when reduced to numerous coloured, fuzzy squares of compiled imagery. But it was no matter. The amount of times L had called Light beautiful, a pixelated view, perhaps wasn't all that bad to him.

"Hmm could be, but if what you're saying is true, we can assume that punishing criminals is not this Kira's intent..."

A metal chain was loose, as it gathered in heavy tangles around the foot of two chairs in tight-packed vicinity. Bodies were closer as they both attempted to share enough adequate space in order to analyse the newly presented, intriguing information. Neither man minded however. Being 𝒄𝒍𝒐𝒔𝒆, wasn't a necessity, it was their pastime. L craved to kiss his friend for being so clever...