Their First Date

L thought Light had been ignoring him 𝒃𝒆𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆. But this was entirely different. Before, Light chose to take no notice of his friend because of anger. This time, L could tell it was dejection.

The two men had walked phlegmatically back down the stairs, to a room of silent stares and murmuring voices - curious attention neither man chose to acknowledge. Instead, they sat down, Light's focus on a screen, L's focus on Light. Any of the positive feelings of freedom in Light's muscles now gone, dissipated; leaving every joint hardened around deadened passion and disappointment. What did he expect? A fling between detective and suspect would never end well, it ended before it even began, rightly so. The Kira case was more important than...than anything right now. 

"It must've been a really bad one this time..."

..Matsuda whispered to Soichiro who hummed in acknowledgment, a room of concerned faces staring at the boys' backs. At the chain, which was taut from the distance between them.

And now...they were here. A tedious hell neither wished to inhabit.

"𝑴𝒂𝒏𝒏𝒏...this has got to be the lamest date I've ever been on"

A dispirited Misa held her head in her hand as she sat opposite the two men, clearly craving some alone time with the boy of her dreams. Pfft, she could only hope.

"No no no just pretend I'm not even here okay? By the way...Are you gonna eat that piece of cake?"

Misa's company was dull, not 𝒏𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒍𝒚 as thought provoking as Light's who stretched arms behind his head observing the situation. If L was going to subject himself to this, he may as well get some food out of the girl. Though, he'd much rather be helping himself to a 𝒅𝒊𝒇𝒇𝒆𝒓𝒆𝒏𝒕 meal, one that was currently unavailable, but taunted L with the suave confidence of his seating position.

"Cake makes you fat. I'm not gonna eat any"

Was Light 𝒔𝒖𝒓𝒆 he didn't like Misa? The two could be oddly similar at times, but Light was better; all L could think of following their argument, was this fact, and how he missed the boy. It has only been a few days, a few days to deduce that Kira definitely wasn't here anymore, he was somewhere else, L wanted to catch him. But what was the 𝒑𝒐𝒊𝒏𝒕 if Light was going to ignore him like this? The excitement was gone.

"Actually I found that you don't gain any weight as long as you burn calories by using your brain"

Misa wouldn't find this funny, but Light would've laughed at it. L had to convince himself he didn't hear a small singular chuckle coming from the body to the right of him...though he wasn't so sure...
Misa let out the most irritatingly high squeal at the mocking remark.

"So 𝑵𝑶𝑾 you're calling me stupid?? FINE then! I'll give you the piece of cake as long as you agree to leave me and Light alone!"

Well...that certainly wasn't happening 𝒐𝒃𝒗𝒊𝒐𝒖𝒔𝒍𝒚. Although Light was in a bad mood with him, L's regard for the younger man would prevent any action leading to the two being alone together. Light would definitely hate him more.

"Even if I leave you two alone I'm still gonna be watching on surveillance cameras so it wouldn't make any difference"

"You 𝑷𝑬𝑹𝑹𝑽𝑬𝑹𝑻!! Could you 𝒔𝒕𝒐𝒑 𝒊𝒕 with your creepy hobby??!"

Creepy? Did Misa not understand that she was most definitely the second Kira and L was just doing his job? She was such a nuisance, it was 𝒉𝒆𝒓 that needed to leave her boyfriend alone...so her boyfriend could be with the detective and they could amend things. L just needed to find a way to talk to Light where he was forced to confront the situation. L himself shared Light's affinity for being too prideful for apologies. Sure, L had apologised to the boy before, but only over petty little things where regret wasn't warranted. L had concluded within the last few days that, though he was still suspicious of Light, he believed that Kira was no longer residing in him, it's powers had most definitely passed to another. So L could be vulnerable now, right? Maybe he was just a spoilt child, butthurt over being ignored, so coming up with silly excuses to be reunited with the guilty pleasure he had been denied. How did L do this before? For 𝒕𝒘𝒐 𝒘𝒆𝒆𝒌𝒔? Most likely because he was certain Light would come back to him.