Matsuda And The Bathroom

"Morning you two! I have your coffee!"

Matsuda's cheery disposition entered the main room to greet the two boys sat on the sofa surrounding the coffee table.

"Thanks Matsuda"

Light smiled briefly, L said nothing.
Matsuda's worried eyebrows at the rejection, hastily formed more positive shapes. Ones curved like rainbows over kind eyes, because he knew how Ryuzaki could be.
Sitting opposite them, he fidgeted anxiously, no doubt waiting for important orders, as the pair of detectives sipped quietly. They were so sophisticated and clever - Matsuda envied their talents greatly, but they couldn't have been appointed to anyone better. Supplying such exceptional brains with the constant stimulating thinking fuel, was an important job...depending on how you decided to see it. To be honest, it's not often someone gets the privilege of running errands for the greatest detective in the world...no matter how trifling they may seem.

Light was working his way through a stack of papers, reading one in his hand, their context unknown to the lesser experienced task force member. The constantly quarrelling friends seemed in a good mood today. Although Light was angled away from L, they sat closer than usual, not just joined at the wrist, but almost touching at the hip. The boy's arm draped over the back of the seat where Ryuzaki sat in his usual perch - like a wise owl on a branch, the young officer often mused.

"You're looking fresh today Light! I thought you two would've been tired with how late you worked on the case last night"

The younger of the pair seemed to flinch, as if slightly surprised at the statement - grip tightening a little around the handle of his beverage.

"It's his makeu-"

"𝑯𝑬𝒀"

Light whispered angrily, nudging the detective next to him with his elbow, not allowing him to finish. Large eyes in warning, harsh frown in irritation. Though it didn't stay for long, because L smirked, almost indistinguishably, and Light's eyes softened over a small smile that disappeared behind a coffee cup...the detective reached across, covering a hand over his profile to whisper something in the younger boy's ear. Whatever it was elicited a giggle, as Light shook his head from side to side, in entertained disbelief at Ryuzaki's behaviour.

"Shut up Ryuzaki..you're terrible"

L seemed subduedly pleased at the..rather 𝒄𝒐𝒚 reaction. Resuming the enjoyment of his overly-sweetened tastes, with his fixation, not aimed at a gloomy reflection as it rippled underneath the rising steam of a freshly made hot drink, but aimed blatantly at the boy next to him, as his eyes were absorbed in the page of his interest. Matsuda was used to feeling a little left out, they were close as friends, and on an extremely different level of intelligence. However...this was worse than usual. The young task force member grinned widely in awkwardness, choosing happy ignorance as his approach to the exclusion. What was so funny?

"So...how 𝒅𝒊𝒅 you sleep?"

Light sighed, rubbing his forehead above closed eyes, he seemed mildly annoyed....

"Yes Light...how 𝒅𝒊𝒅 you sleep?"

The detective was always so dry, Matsuda sometimes had a hard time deciphering his humour, from the ordinary manner in which he said things. This time it appeared to be teasing - despite the unchanging facial expression. But perhaps Light saw something different? They were probably wiser to each other's behaviours more than most, having spent a few weeks together now.

"Well...you were there L...𝒚𝒐𝒖 of all people would know"

..Light challenged back, moving his position to stare L right in the face.