E I G H T E E N

billie

"Come on Elle, time for bed." I said, getting up from the couch after the movie we were watching ended. I decided to let her stay up a little longer as it is the weekend and she has been a good girl.

"No bed." She said shaking her head while continuing watching the credits. 

"No its bedtime, I let you stay up a little longer but its time for bed." I said with a slightly stern voice. 

She shakes her head and crosses her arms. I sigh and reach out to pick her up but she runs away. I chase her around the house but eventually catch her which made her start screaming and crying. She was hitting and kicking me but I put her in her bed and closed the door.

"I DON'T WANT TO GO TO BED!" She screamed hitting and kicking around. I sat her down in her bed and wrapped my arms around her. She had her head on my chest and she started to clam down.

"I'm sorry but you're going to have to go to bed, please." I said rocking her slightly "I'm tired, Grandma and Grandpa are tired and you're tired"

"I don't want to go to bed, I want to play." She sulked.

"I know but we can play all day." I said trying to win her over.

"No" She said bluntly. I sigh and try to tuck her in again but she crawls out and runs off. I chase after her but she hides under the table.

"Come on Elle, its time for bed." I whine, I'm tired and I know she is.

"You ok Billie?" Mom asked walking into the kitchen.

"No, Elle won't go to bed and I'm really tired." I say as I yawn. 

"You go to bed, I will get her to bed." She said rubbing my bed. I shake my head. Elle is my child and I should be the one to look after her and be able to put her to bed. "Yes, go to bed."

I sigh and walk off into my room. Being a parent is hard sometimes and I knew that as I adopted her but every time she cries or has a tantrum, I feel like I'm being a bad parent.

Elle

I was hiding under the table as I heard mommy and Grandma having a little chat. Mommy walked into her room and Grandma bent down to look under the table.

"Come on lets go to bed." She said. I crawl out and hold her hand which she was holding out. We walk into my room and I sit on my bed. She gets one of my stories and sat in bed with me. She read the story and I cuddle up to her side.

"Now, if mommy says something, you have to do it ok. She tries her best to be the best mommy she can for you and sometimes she gets a little bit angry. She loves you so much and she is so happy that she adopted you but its hard for her sometimes, ok?" She explains, I nod and she kisses my head. "Now gets some rest angel."

I close my eyes as the lights turn off and the door closes. After a couple on minutes, I heard the door open and footsteps moving closer to me. I felt a kiss on my head and heard "I love you." From mommy. 

"I love you too." I whisper back. I felt another kiss on my head and mommy said goodnight then left my room.

my eyes fell heavy and i fell asleep.