Psychodrama: Part Three

"Based on the knowledge that spending a significant time in prison stunts emotional growth while increasing professional skills, we can estimate this unsub went to jail between the ages of eighteen and twenty-two and spent between five and ten years inside," you begin giving the profile to the group of cops eagerly waiting to hear what you have to say.

"That puts him at the approximate age between twenty-three and thirty-five," Elle adds.

"This guy's much more than just a bank robber though. What started out as a practical MO–stripping his hostages–triggered a deep psycho-sexual response. In other words, when he found himself in front of a bunch of naked people under his control, he snapped, then he decided to manipulate them."

"He's either getting better at what he does or getting worse because he's attacking banks earlier in the day when more and more people are present," you say. "This sounds like he's sacrificing the safety of having just a few hostages to contain for the satisfaction of having more subjects to control."

"He'll be less interested in money and more interested in sadistically manipulating his captives," Spencer states.

"In all likelihood, he'll be high on drugs. It would be wrong, however, to write this guy off as crazy. Bank robbery is an ambitious crime and it takes time and planning to pull it off."

"What makes this unsub unique," Gideon says calmly, "is his fractured psyche. On the one hand, a cold, organized bank robber. On the other, a disorganized sexual sadist full of bottled up rage. The two parts of his psyche have just begun to bleed together. Now, when they finally converge, we're talking about a criminal with the skills and efficiency of a master bank robber and the rage of a suicide bomber. He will explode."

"Sir, bank robbery in progress," Officer Murad interrupts. "Corner of Washington and Sepulveda. Kid in the back room called 911 on his cell. Said the suspect's started making people undress."

You and your entire team immediately head into two different cars to see who can get there faster. It's not a race, but two cars are better than one. You're in the car with Gideon, Elle, and Wallace while the second car is filled with Murad, Hotch, and Derek. Spencer and JJ have decided to stay back since they are more helpful inside than out.

You've been to California a few times, and the worst thing about it is the traffic. It doesn't matter the time of day or the day of the week, there will be traffic no matter where you go. It's like that with all of the major cities in the US.

"LA air eight, requesting immediate air support, Washington and Sepulveda," the woman over the police radio says.

"How far are we from the bank?" Gideon asks.

"Without traffic, ten minutes."

"So, avoid traffic," you state.

You point to the unoccupied sidewalk to the right which is big enough to contain a police car. Hotch gives one nod to Wallace, and the detective wastes no time crashing onto the sidewalk. People can see he's serious about where he needs to be, so they all get out of his way. It would be a shame if Wallace ran anyone over while trying to stop a crazed bank robber gone sadistic. Without traffic standing in your way, you get there in under five minutes.

Before Wallace even has a chance to stop in front of the bank, you see the unsub get on his bike. You know it's not real because the unsub is more of a black shape than a real person, and no one else is paying attention to him. His panic and instability is leading you to where he is. Without thinking, you shove your head in between the two front seats, pointing at the street.

"I don't have time to explain, but drive! I know where he's going!"

"Listen to her," Gideon says.