Ashes and Dust: Part Three

He leaves for the car, and Gideon nods at you to follow him to keep him company. Gideon and Emily went to talk to the ex-wife of Evan, and they found out what you'd expect from any normal divorced couple. Allison explained that when she met Evan, it was like out of a love story. He was a different person than he is now--warm, funny, honest, and even naive. She claimed that it all changed when she got pregnant while they had mounds of student loans to pay back.

Evan was an environmental consultant that builders hired to help them clean up their sites and make sure they were up to EPA code. Evan thought that they hired him to do the right thing, but it turns out that the developers didn't care about the Mercury in the groundwater. They just wanted to pass inspection as cheaply and fast as possible. He had a budget to work with, it was never enough, but they didn't care how he spent it as long as they passed inspections.

Evan knew what they were doing, so instead of dealing with it like a normal person, he drank it down. Things got so bad that Allison thought Evan was going to hurt himself. He didn't even have a chance to have a relationship with his son. Allison even threatened to take Evan to court to pay for child support. It must have scared him or pissed him off because every Sunday for the past nine months, he tosses two thousand dollars in cash through the mail slot in the door.

Something must be seriously wrong with Evan if he can afford to give two grand away every single week. You and Hotch followed Evan around all day to see where he went and how much time he spent in those places just to figure out what the hell he's hiding from everyone. He packed his things into boxes, stopped at his attorney's office, and hit four banks. You're not sure what is going on, but you will get to the bottom of it, you're sure.

"You know, for a guy claiming to be innocent, he's acting pretty guilty," you state.

"I never underestimate the effect being confronted by the FBI will have on a suspect."

"He didn't do it, though. I don't know if he had any knowledge of it, but he never touched that last crime scene."

"Still, a suspect of something."

"I don't think he's affected so much as freaked out. In the time we've been watching him, he's packed his belongings into cardboard boxes, hit his attorney's office, and then four banks. It looks like he's getting ready to run. What do we do?"

"For now, nothing. We just watch."

Evan leaves the bank he's in and heads back to his house, and Hotch follows behind him loosely so that he doesn't think he's being followed. You park across the street from his house, and that's where you've been all fucking say and night. You left the bank around one in the afternoon, and it's now nine at night.

He's invited so many people to his house, and based on the swirling energies everywhere, you can tell the unsub is here. You won't be able to pinpoint them, but you can see the base color you saw at the crime scene earlier.

"He's here, Hotch. I know it. This is either a very lame going away party or this is an EDF meeting."

"If you saw the unsub here, would you be able to match his energy to the one you found at the crime scene?" he asks.

"Yes, but there are so many people here that it makes it difficult, but I can try."

"Good, we need to set surveillance up. Grab the camera."

"Where should I set up?"

"Right here. If he's hiding something, and we don't have a warrant or supplies, then I want another chance to find out what he's hiding."

"This is going to piss him off."

"Exactly."

You do as you're told and take out the camera that was in this car, pointing it at the front door. The people inside begin to leave, and you take pictures of each and every person, some twice and at different angles, some at the groups that stayed huddled together. You see a man and freeze because he's different from the rest. Their energies may have rubbed off one another, but his is angrier than the rest. He managed to contain his anger throughout the meeting, but he's starting to show his true colors.