Distress: Part Two

You pull up to the homeless shelter right as you get a message that another victim has surfaced. His name was Travis Overby. He was a construction worker who was working the jackhammer on a new trunkline. One second Travis was going down into the sewer, and the next second he was dead.

Derek had to go into the sewer to confirm that it was big enough to house someone. It looked the same at the abandoned building--dirty blankets, a sleeping bag, and fast food wrappers everywhere. When Travis was using the jackhammer, he knocked some concrete loose inside the sewer, probably scaring the shit out of the unsub.

There is no connection to the victims because they all happened to stumble upon the unsub's hiding place/home. When the unsub saw a threat, he attacked the person regardless of who they were. That's why you're at the homeless shelter to see if any of these people could be your unsub. Since you haven't been to a crime scene, you don't know what the unsub's energy is like, so you won't be able to compare it to the ones you see inside the homeless shelter.

"Are you two looking for someone in charge?" a small woman comes up to you and Spencer once you enter the place. "I'm Angie, one of the administrators."

"Hi, I'm agent Y/N and this is agent Reid. We're with the FBI," you say and flash your badge to her.

"Really?"

"Really."

Spencer's tone is kind of like that of annoyance as if a child is amazed by the smallest of things.

"It looks like you have your hands full," you chuckle at the abundance of people inside the shelter.

"With the demolitions in the projects and the abandoned buildings, there's no place else for people to sleep."

"Well, thank God there are people like you who take the time--"

"Do you have a list of everyone who comes through here?" Spencer cuts you off, getting straight to business.

"Uh, we have a sign-in sheet, but we don't force anyone to sign if they don't want to. Some who do, don't even use their real names. Elvis eats here a lot," she laughs.

"We would appreciate any lists you have."

"Why?"

"Have you noticed anyone who acts unusually aggressive towards the other residents?"

"What's this about?" Angie asks, becoming scared.

"A series of murders in the area. The perpetrator may be a homeless man. Maybe someone who stays here. He may even be in this room as we speak."

"Spencer!" you hiss at him.

"Have you noticed anyone who acts paranoid or displays explosive, unprovoked bursts of violence?" he continues, ignoring you. "More than just pushing and shoving? I mean, someone who really tries to harm others."

"There are territorial fights over food and places to sleep. The nurse treats people for minor injuries all the time, but no one's seriously hurt."

"If anyone does come to mind, give us a call. Thank you."

He hands over a business card and leaves, leaving you to pick up the pieces. Angie stares at you with fear in her eyes, so you quickly have to calm her down.

"A murderer?"

"Look, I am so sorry. We don't have evidence that the person we're looking for comes from a homeless shelter, but we are advising others to stay safe, okay? Please, if you see anything unusual happen, call that number or let the police know. Thank you."

You leave her side once you're comfortable she isn't going to piss herself out of fear. You find Spencer outside observing the homeless people.

"There's a high presence of mental disorders with the homeless."