Chapter 19

I rang the doorbell.

I hear shuffling from the inside and the door opened. A lot of cars were parked in the street, so I expected a huge amount of people. I am right. I don't think I can do this.

Demi squeezed my hand softly.

I stared at the woman in the doorway. A woman I haven't seen in years. A woman who was unwelcoming. But I am willing to put all those aside for my dead little sister.

"Mom," I nodded curtly. She smiled sadly at me.

I walked in, eyes darting towards me. I expected whispering to start, like I was in a cheesy high school chick flick, but I was met with silence.

I went to upstairs to my former room, not speaking a word and just holding Demi's hand tightly.

I sat on my bed. The only different thing was the wall, which was painted in hues of red. Only Melissa would do this.

She had a passion for painting, and she knew that I loved the color red. I felt light, knowing the fact that a piece of her was left to me.

Demi didn't talk, just offered her attention and affection, and I was so grateful. If she talked to me I am afraid I might break down.

I laid on my bed, wrapping my arms around Demi.

My mom knocked on the halfway open door.

"Are you ready?" she asked.

I nodded.