Chapter 20

I stood still and stared blankly at the coffin the whole funeral. I refused to speak. I can't break down in front of these people who have seen me at my strongest.

I didn't move until it was time to lower down the coffin and we were given one last chance to look at Melissa. I stood up, and the crowd near the coffin dispersed.

Demi clutched my arm as I started to walk. "Do you want me to come with you?" she asked.

"No, I'll be fine, Demz, don't worry," I said as I smiled, reassuring her. She gave me a look as if saying 'i don't believe you' but I walked away.

I stared at her face. Her pale, beautiful face. I remember all the times we spent together and talking on the phone at 3AM even though we were only separated by walls. I remember her paintings and drawings, which were so beautiful, passion and personality showing through. I remember supporting her through everything. And she seemed so bright, so happy, that you'd never know if darkness is making her lose herself slowly. And I almost feel tears threatening to fall out, but I managed to hold it in.

"Goodbye," I whispered.

As I walked back to Demi, I think about how terrifying this must be for my mother. Maybe she's thinking about how she could have saved her. Mate she's thinking about how she could have showed up in time. Maybe she's thinking about how she never knew that my sister was suicidal. Maybe she's thinking about nothing. I don't know. And a million things are going rapidly through my mind right now, I could never make sense. I feel like I'm losing my mind. But I can't. And I won't. I will be strong. Because the last thing my sister wants to see is me falling into what she has fallen into.

When the funeral was over, I walked straight to the car that drove us around without saying goodbye to anyone. I know my mom needs support but when I needed that I never got that from her. Her sisters are here anyway.

Demi got into the car, asking if I was okay. I nodded.

The driver started driving to the airport. We sat in silence.

"Are you alright with this, Demi?" I whispered. She only smiled and said, "I must be the only one asking you that."

We walked into the airport.