Chapter 5

"Pepperfur!" It was Wormwiggle who screeched, and the tom's loud call attracted the large brown creature's attention. Inkpaw glared at Wormwiggle, they were supposed to talk the bear by surprise. The bear growled, baring it's teeth at the patrol, swinging it's large paw at Wormwiggle, barely missing his whiskers. Rain quickly started pouring down.

     "Inkpaw! Get to Pepperfur!" Hauntingripple yowled as she jumped and clung onto the creature's back.

     Inkpaw slipped under the brown-furred mammal's paws to get to Pepperfur. She held her breath, hoping the bear hadn't seen her. "Inkpaw...?" Pepperfur rasped. "Pepperfur! You're okay! I got you!" The black and white she struggled to scoop her mentor onto her back but managed after a few moments of struggling. Inkpaw made a run for some trees and looked back at the patrol before running back to camp.

"Eveningflower! I got her!" The black and white apprentice called before collapsing on the grassy floor. A small kit ran up to Inkpaw. "Are you okay?" The scent was unfamiliar to Inkpaw. She shot up when she finally recognized the scent. "TimberClan!" She yelped, shooting up. Cats poked their heads out of their dens, until Vineflights stepped out of his den. "TimberClan?" The leader echoed, a brow raised. Inkpaw looked up to the tom. "There's a TimberClan kit here!" Inkpaw's tail was slashing to and fro.

   "What?" The kit squeaked, looking to Inkpaw with confusion. "What's your name, little one?" Vineflights' voice echoed throughout the clearing. "Ribbonkit!" The kits fur was pale white and she had pale gray socks as well as a red silky ribbon around her neck and sky blue eyes. Vineflights flicked his tail, looking from Pepperfur, to Ribbonkit, then back to Inkpaw. All of their pelts soaked, especially Pepperfur's, which was drenched in blood and water.

     "Where did you come from?" Vineflights asked, his head tilted and his mew edged with distrust and unease. "My mama picked me up and took me here!" The white kit swished her tail playfully, her eyes shining. Inkpaw felt her heart fall and crash into her stomach with pity for the young kit. The kit seems too young to remember her mother when she's older if she stays in GorgeClan.

"What's her name?" Inkpaw bent down into a crouch to meet the kit's gaze. "Oleanderflurry!" Inkpaw looked to Vineflights to confirm he heard that name. The brown tom nodded, twitching his whiskers to get raindrops off of them.

Finally, Eveningflower bursted out of her den and scooped up Pepperfur and ran back into her den. Inkpaw looked to the spot in the grass where Pepperfur was laying and there was an indent as well as puddle of water and blood. Watered down blood was the most disturbing thing to Inkpaw.

     "Well then, I will organize a patrol to go to TimberClan to see if the mother is present in her own clan. If not, we will see if TimberClan even knows of this kit." Vineflights flicked the rain off of his tail.

     "And if they don't?" Inkpaw narrowed her eyes. "And if they don't, then Ribbonkit will be one of GorgeClan." Vineflights twitched his whiskers, glaring at the elder, Willowleg, who was scowling and scoffing at the news that GorgeClan may keep a TimberClan-blooded kit. Then Vineflights retreated to the dryness and warmth of his den.