Chapter 3

It was the day, the day Inkkit and Olivekit will become apprentices. Since Inkkit promised to become a warrior with Olivekit, they've gotten back to being as close as they were. Inkkit and Eveningflower's relationship was still strong too.

     Rumors were flying around like wildfire, some said Smallbee would be Inkkit's mentor, others said Mossyhawk would be her mentor. Either way, she just hoped she wouldn't have a harsh mentor.

     The sun began to rise and Vineflights sat on the stone bridge high from one end of the ravine to the other. "All cats old enough to run through the ravine and plains, gather beneath the Stonebridge for a clan meeting!" The leader called. "Today we have two kits who have reached the age of 6 moons. Inkkit, Olivekit, step forward." Inkkit and Olivekit stepped forward. "You two both show great promise and potential. I expect high things from you." Inkkit and Vineflights made eye contacts before he turned his gaze back to Olivekit.

     "Olivekit, you have such energy and I respect that. But your energetic sense may blind you of others' feelings. "Until you earn your warrior name, you will be known as Olivepaw and you will be mentored by Wormwiggle." The leader turned his gaze to a tall hairless tom with pink skin and pale brown splotches.
     Wormwiggle wasn't popular within the clan or anywhere really, sometimes Inkkit forgets he's not a rogue. "I expect you to pass on your knowledge from Toadweed." Wormwiggle silently padded up to Olivepaw, who was hopping with excitement to touch noses with the tom.

     It was Inkkit's turn. "Inkkit, you have precision and intelligence. I expect good reports from you." He gave an approving nod which gave Inkkit a pang of faith. "Until the day you've earned your warrior name, you will be known as Inkpaw and you'll be mentored by Pepperfur." A beautiful gray speckled she came up to Inkpaw and they touched noses. I remember her! She seems nice, I hope I'm right. Inkpaw thought to herself. She swished her tail back and forth with excitement.

     Inkpaw noticed some of her clanmates giving her weird looks, was it about her fur? She crouched down, trying to hide from the judgement and looks. "Hey," a voice murmured, it was Pepperfur! "Don't mind them. They've never seen a special cat like you. They don't know how to react." The speckled she reassured her apprentice. "That's all, meeting dismissed." Vineflights swished his tail and padded into his den with his deputy, Hauntingripple following him. Inkpaw wondered what they were talking about.

     "Inkpaw! Can't you believe it? We're finally apprentices!" Olivepaw bounced to his friend, a huge toothy grin planted on his face. "And you and I will do much more than we could from the tiny nursery!" Inkpaw just awkwardly smiled, she'd rather be in the medicine den, sorting herbs with Eveningflower.

Wormwiggle and Pepperfur padded over to the two apprentices. "Training starts tomorrow." The hairless tom meowed flatly. "So make sure to eat and get some rest!" Pepperfur added sweetly. "Agreed, you're important now. No one crying to mommy when you get hurt. You aren't kits anymore." Wormwiggle growled. "Hey! Be careful, they're still young!" The spotted she pushed the tom back from the apprentices with her tail. Wormwiggle looked taken aback but didn't say anything, he just turned around and stalked away, huffing.

Olivepaw and Inkpaw looked to each other, the black and white she-cat mouthing I'm sorry. Olivepaw just shakes his head and grimly smiles.

     "Olivepaw. What are you doing? You look like a scared mouse! Sit up straight!" Wormwiggle snapped. Both Inkpaw and Olivepaw perked and sat up as straight as they could. "Okay, that's enough for today." Pepperfur slashed her tail. "Go on a patrol or something." The she shooed the tom away with her tail before going over to the apprentice and protectively wrapping herself around them. "Really? You're taking the side of these kits?!" Wormwiggle looked outraged, tail lashing with anger before stomping away.

     Inkpaw thought that the tom was bad before, but now she realized that her best friend could be in danger, not just physically but mentally.