Chapter 8

It has been a week since Pepperfur's death. Inkpaw hasn't been assigned a new mentor, everything is falling apart in Inkpaw's world. A few sunrises ago, Olivepaw begged Inkpaw to go on patrol with her. She declined. A beautiful calico apprentice named Spottedpaw sat with her for hours, even slept with her.

Spottedpaw and Inkpaw's relationship quickly grew. At first, Olivepaw was overridden with jealousy, but after a while he learned Spottedpaw was no threat to Inkpaw and and Olivepaw's friendship. Soon after, they all became a friend group.

     Inkpaw eventually got a new mentor, Halfstem. And tonight was the night of Inkpaw and Olivepaw's first gathering! "Are you excited?" Olivepaw bounced beside Inkpaw. Inkpaw snickered while Spottedpaw rolled his eyes, grinning. Wormwiggle just hissed at his apprentice, who only glared at the tom and hissed back. "Both of you! Knock it off, this is a night of truces, not fights between clanmates!" Hauntingripple came up behind them and snarled.

Olivepaw shot the deputy a grateful glance while Wormwiggle only snorted in response.

"I wonder if we'll meet apprentices our age!" Olivepaw chirped. "Maybe, this is my first gathering in a while too. I wonder what new apprentices there are." The moon held high on the clear night, silverpelt shone brightly above their heads.

     Inkpaw took a deep breath in before fully padding into the crowd of cats it looked like FernClan, GardenClan and LightClan were there alongside GorgeClan. Inkpaw noticed quickly that Olivepaw had run off to meet some apprentices, the leaves blew with the wind that night. Inkpaw and Spottedpaw looked to each other before bolting after him, trying to catch up.

     After a while, they finally found Olivepaw, chatting with some other apprentices. "Hi! I'm Olivepaw!" It seemed like they had just met. "I'm Inkpaw and this is Spottedpaw." Inkpaw chimed in with a kind smile. A short silver tabby tom with folded ears and gray eyes muttered in response "I'm Damppaw." Then, a rather tall and lithe white tom and polite blue eyes. "Shiveringpaw, sorry about Damppaw! He's always like this." The white tom curled his tail around his paws and Inkpaw's eyes rounded as she saw his tail looked like it was... mangled. "Oh, don't mind my tail! I was born like this and it doesn't hurt, honest!" Shiveringpaw must've seen her staring, Inkpaw looked at her paws sheepishly.

     Out of nowhere, a white tom and a brown tom padded up to them. "I don't see why we're here." The white tom retorted. "To make new friends, Gullpaw!" The brown tom chirped to the grumpy tom, then spun his head to the other apprentices.

     "Hi! I'm Dirtpaw! And this is—"
     "Tell them my name and you'll be tonight's fresh kill." Gullpaw snarled and bristled.

     "You're... Gullpaw, yes?" Spottedpaw raised a brow, grinning. Gullpaw perked in an angry shock and glared at Dirtpaw. "You won't make it through the night, Dirtpaw." The bristling white tom bared his teeth, growling at the seemingly friendly brown tom. "Yes he will make it through the night!" Shiveringpaw stepped between the toms, towering over Gullpaw. Gullpaw glared at the other white tom for a few moments before huffing and stalking off.