Chapter 13

Inkpaw jolted up. Olivepaw was hovering over her. "You're awake! Come on! We need to go train together!" Was that all a dream? But she really enjoyed her time with Dirtpaw, maybe she can actually sneak out tonight! Inkpaw heaved herself to her paws and stretched. "How long was I asleep?" Her mew was hoarse from the tiredness she collected from her slumber. "It's sun-high if that tells you anything." Suddenly, Inkpaw's tiredness was gone. She bolted out of the den, conversations were booming in Inkpaw's face. "Damn it!" She cursed, whipping her head towards Olivepaw, who was calmly padding out of the den.

"Finally, the sleepyheads awake." Wormwiggle growled. Inkpaw silently winced before looking to her friend's mentor. "Sorry, I've just been so exhausted.. Eh- mentally since Pepperfur's passing." Inkpaw tried to think of an excuse. "You know how that is..." she paused "right?" Wormwiggle's eyes suddenly burst with rage, burning like a fire you can't contain. "You will never know what it's like for me!" He sneered, raising his paw to slice at Inkpaw. "No, no, no! I didn't mean it like that! I just-" Inkpaw's apology was interrupted by her own yowl of pain.

     Wormwiggle pinned down the black and white apprentice. "You should've been the one to be killed by that bear! Not her!" Wormwiggle hissed, slicing and swiping at Inkpaw, trying to tear her to shreds. "No!" Olivepaw screeched before lunging at his mentor. "Olivepaw! Stay out of this!" Hauntingripple called to the white apprentice but to no avail. Inkpaw writhed on the ground, wailing and screeching in agony. The wind bellowed above the ravine. Cats were gasping, Inkpaw heard cries from Ribbonkit, and everything was chaos. "Get.. off... of..." Inkpaw heard Olivepaw grunt. "Her!" He snarled before hissing and what Inkpaw presumed was Olivepaw full on fighting Wormwiggle.

     After a few minutes, Inkpaw opened her blood-soaked eyes. Everything was red but after she wiped her eyes, everything was normal again and her paws were drenched in blood. She looked up from her paws and saw her worst nightmare... "Olivepaw!" Inkpaw screeched.