Chapter 11, The moon

The full moon shined on Layla's face as she texted her best friend. It was the night before the first day of college and she was extremely nervous.

Layla: how did you do it?

Aster: It wasn't that bad. Yes, it's a new experience for you, but it's the same for everyone. Just relax.

Layla: I can't believe we are separated. I wish you were there with me.

Aster: Back in school people used to ship us all the time. This is a chance for you to be on your own. Find the moon in your night, like you always say.

Layla: I hope my soulmate won't have a problem with me having a boy best friend.

Aster: If they do, I won't mind at all. Let them go, don't abandon me.

Layla: What are you? A soul friend?

Aster: Yup. So, you're tied to me whether you like it or not.

Layla: Lucky me.

   As the girl laid the phone next to her, she looked at the full moon. Ever since she was a child, it was the moon that made her feel safe. Even Aster felt the same way, he even jokes that they are fortune tellers because they are too connected to the moon.

   Layla couldn't sleep the night, so she got ready in the morning to go on her adventure to the college. As she stepped into the building, she felt more scared, she didn't know anyone, and that freaked her out.

   She stood in front of her first class as another girl stood next to her. She went over to the girl and introduced herself: "Hi, I'm Layla, what's your name?"

   "Hi Layla, my name is Naomi. Are you excited for the class?" The girl asked.

   "Yup, I love astrology, I can't wait to learn it." Layla spoke.

   "Well, sorry to tell you, but this is astronomy, not astrology." Naomi replied, trying to hold in her laugh.

   "I know, I have astrology after this." Layla responded with a smile.

   "You're weird, but I like that. I am also in astrology class." Naomi spoke. "My aunt used to own this tarot card store, she taught my mom how to do all the fortune telling things, and my mom taught me. So, I guess I am drawn to spirituality."

   "I am also spiritual, but I am not a big fan of the whole fortune telling stuff. I only watch those things to get signs of who my soulmate could be." Layla replied.

   "Oh, I can give you a reading, but first, girls or boys?" Naomi asked.

   "At this point I don't care; I just want my soulmate to come." Layla answered.

   "Well, that made it harder to give you a reading. I was taught more on specifics." Naomi chuckled.

   "Can't you give gender neutral?" Layla asked.

   "I have to picture someone." Naomi replied.

   "Oh, bummer. Well, I guess I'll continue waiting then." Layla laughed.

   "They'll come, don't worry." Naomi reassured.

   "Oh, now you can use gender neutral. What if my soulmate is nonbinary, then what? Can't you predict that?" Layla asked.

   "I am still learning." Naomi replied.

   And just like Layla made a friend. Later that day she met up with her best friend. He noticed how excited she seemed, so he asked: "Good day?"

"I made a friend. Her name is Naomi, and she is a fortune teller. Well fortune teller to be." Layla answered.

"Oh, so you replaced me. Good to know that ten years of friendship went down the drain." Aster teased.

"Fourteen years, not ten. But relax you big baby, no one can replace you." Layla reassured.

"But Layla, keep in mind not to get too involved with fortune telling. You don't want to end up like Aurora. You said that in your story her soulmate dies because she went too far into knowing the unknown." Aster warned.

   "Relax, I am not her, I'll only be curious to learn simple things. I won't go to the extreme." Layla replied with a warm smile.