Chapter 16, Magic

Aster didn't put the script down that day. He wanted to help his best friend find happiness, so he tried really hard to memorise all his lines.

   "Hey, you, okay?" Christina asked her son.

   "I just can't memorise it. I feel like I'm going to let her down, mom." Aster sighed.

   "I feel you. Letting down your best friend is the hardest thing." The woman frowned upon remembering how she wasn't able to make Aurora happy.

   "Is it weird? Your best friend is mine too?" Aster asked.

   "It is, but I guess that's how it was meant to be. She came back to me. Soul friends are just like soulmates, they always find a way back to you." Christina answered.

   "But was it really like that, mom? Was Aurora's life like that?" Aster asked.

   "Aurora was a ray of sunshine, she had so much life in her. When she met Sky, everything changed. I used to say that Iris took over. Iris's life was miserable, and for Aurora to remember that pain made her change. In a way she was the one who brought life to people, but when Sky died, that light she had dimmed, her whole life fell apart. She lost her soulmate and her health. I knew that she was going to die, it was impossible, no one was able to help her." Christina explained as her eyes started to water.

   "When she died, I remember that day as a nightmare. It's hard to imagine the girl who brought smiles to people's faces, leave those people. I felt empty until I met your father. When I lost him, I understood what Aurora felt. Losing a soulmate twice can really break you. But I had you, so I had a reason to hold on." Christina continued as she whipped her tears away.

   "But now you have her too. It's like magic, she came back and now she's the sun again." Aster tried to cheer his mother up.

   "Not really, I feel like Layla is going back to being Iris. She's way too interested in Sky that she's starting to forget herself. I am afraid that if she doesn't find him, she'll break again." Christina confessed.

   "I won't let that happen, mom. This time, Layla has me. I will heal her, not all soulmates are made as lovers." Aster smiled.

   Christina smiled with her son, hoping that this time it would be different. Knowing that Layla had someone there that would go through fire for her, made her smile. As a mother, she was proud of her son for having a big heart, it reminded her of her best friend.

   The next day Layla had a whole day of college, so Aster sat alone in the park and studied his lines. When he looked away from his papers, he saw Adrien. He was one of Aster and Layla's classmates back in school. Aster remembers that Adrien was Layla's first crush.

   "Could he be Sky?" Aster wondered. Then he got an idea, "What if Adrien performs instead of me, this way Layla will finally find her soulmate."

   Deep down inside, Aster didn't want Layla to find Sky, but he knew that her happiness is more important to him than his own, so he stood up and approached the boy who was going to take his role.

   After Layla finished class, she got a phone call from her best friend:

-Tell me you love me.

-Why?

-Remember Adrien? I convinced him to play the role of Sky.

-I thought you were going to play him.

-Well, I was having trouble memorising the words, let alone read them. It was like my mind just wasn't understanding what I was reading. But with Adrien it works. Plus, what if he is Sky? He was your first crush.

-You have a good point, but why was it hard to read them. It was printed, you shouldn't have had a hard time with it. Like really, you are able to read YOUR handwriting, which being honest looks like chicken scribbles.

-Don't judge, not everyone has good handwriting.

   When she hung up the phone, Layla frowned, she would've preferred if it was someone she trusted to play her love interest. She lost feelings for Adrien when she was young, he wasn't that important to her anymore.