18. Cara

"So then, are you ready to divulge the many secrets of the Celeran Palace?" Melida rose a brow at the witch and she glared.

"No. I can't trust you yet."

I nodded, "That's justified. But I'd suggest you quickly pick a side." I narrowed my eyes at her. "Because I don't trust you either. We're just both unfortunately dependent on each other."

"Not really, I was kidnapped. I am not dependent on you." Britt flatly declared and Melida stared at her while I licked my dry lips.

The tense atmosphere is getting on my nerves.

Britt lowered her head, a sigh escaping her lips. I observed her before breaking the silence.

"Since you also know who I am I'm sure things will progrss smoother. But first, could you start with summoning the magically sealed map to the Hunter's tomb?"

Surprise made both females turn to look at me.

"The Map to the Hunter's Tomb?"

"Are you serious?" Britt frowned.

I nodded nonchalantly. "I am. I need it."

Melida narrowed her yellow eyes at me and I focused solely on Britt when she used our mind-link.

'What are you planning to do with the map?'

'You'll see.'

I tapped my fingers on the armrest and raised my chin as she frowned at me.

"If you manage to prove your worth to me...." Britt met my eyes as I smirked, "I'll allow you to visit the Witchlands and rally your people within the next six months."

Her eyes widened and I bit the inside of my cheek. I had no guarantee if she would double cross me, at least for now. But Britt's magic was important to my plans and above that, she was somewhat of a sister for me in name. 

I stood up and the other two women did too. "Relax, sit down."

They did so, shooting each other guarded glances. I internally chided Melida which made her turn her yellow eyes towards me accusingly.

I shrugged.

"I have another appointment to attend."

The raven haired werewolf frowned at me.

'I have to talk to Darr and meet him before he leaves the Palace.' I explained. 'Where are the invitation letters?'

Melida grumbled, 'I'll have Ellana get them for you.'

'Thank you.'

"I'd appreciate it if the Adaldan Princess would explain the first steps of our plan that include the Witch Princess."

Yes, I'm throwing you to the wolves, Britt. I'm not sorry.

Because the look of utter betrayal Melida shot me was enough to make me gulp.

'I'm sorry.'

'Sorry, my ass. You planned this didn't you?'

I stared at her silently, pursuing my lips. Mels glared at me.

"I'd rather you discuss it with me, sister." Britt interrupted us.

I shook my head, "I apologize but I cannot do so. And you two should clear up any misunderstandings you may have. Get along. We're on the same side for now."

I shot the two withering looks of contempt and Melida cracked her neck with a dissatisfied look while Britt grit her teeth.

"Yes, Your Majesty." Both of them spoke at the same time, the only thing they agreed on was the heavy use of sarcasm in that affirmation.