24. Xander/Cara

(Xander's P.O.V)

Keeping my sister and her mate locked wasn't in my best interests.

And Bella and Cam, my Gamma and Beta had made that clear more than once.

The news had thankfully not spread. Of Melida and her mate Micah being locked up or the witch Britt's actions.

Or the fact that my mate was missing.

For three. Fucking. Days.

If she didn't return by sundown today, I'd be doing something unsightly.

'Your Majesty, we need your sister to attend to the guests.' Allistar's voice in my head grated on my nerves.

He was right, of course.

The guests for The Ball had started arriving two days ago. The day she vanished with Keely by her side.

And I couldn't attend to the guests personally. Melida dealt with these aspects of the court and I'd already known I would have to let her and Micah out.

Britt, of course, would remain strictly confined however.

I'd simply wished to make it clear to my sister and her mate that they'd crossed a line. So ow I'd have to tke a step back.

WIth a growl, I mind-linked Callum to release them both finally and have them tailed as well.

Desperation pored into me as my bond with Cara still remained closed off and the news of King Arion, Prince Damien and General Lucien arriving by tonight had added fuel to the fire.

I didn't even want to invite them but Cara had gone ahead and done it. There was no way I'd allow anyone to even look at her wrong at the Ceremony.

Problem was I couldn't worry so far when I didn't even have clues about my mate's whereabouts. Yes, I knew she was in the Galkain forest where the surge of power related to the Hunter's tomb had been discovered but I had no sure leads on that.

When I released a heavy breath and leaned back in my chair, observing the spy reports laying on my desk, I felt stifled beyond words.

The scent of lilacs and lemons had almost faded from our room and my workspace but it provided me with some semblence of comfort nevertheless.

When I found Cara again, I didn't know what I would do but I did know that she'd broken my trust. And a punishment was in order.

I rubbed my hand over my face.

Reports from the borderlands told me that Lucien had gone to the Hunter's Tomb as well. The constant uncertainity of what Cara would do should they cross paths had been eating away at me.

On top of that, Killian hadn't spared any resource or time and sent his demonic forces into the forest. Others had joined because of the Bounty's temptation and the Hunter's powers.

I'd been inclined to storm in myself because I'd never put my men at unnecessary risk but Britt and Melida had been admant and convinced me even in my state of ire that she'd be alright on her own and I couldn't leave my kingdom in this tumultous period.

I exhaled and then suddenly, the bond snapped into place inside me. It pulled and writhed and I could taste magic on the wind.

Until I could feel her completely.

My spine straightened and I breathed, "Cara."

With a growl, I let the magic bond lead me to where her presence was calling to me. My wolf was pacing and my heart thundering as I rushed out of the hallway and into another until I finally found myself standing in front of the room I'd given Cara initially.