22. Cara/Lucien

(Cara's P.O.V)

Smell of damp grass surrounded us as we materialized into the Map's destination.

Keely gasped as she probably felt the magical effects of the teleportation and as she dropped to her knees, I lent her a hand.

Glad that we'd come in rather practical clothes, my dagger strapped to my thigh and a gold and black thick material for our skin tight clothes. With high boots of leather, we wouldn't have much problem maneuvering this forest.

I breathed in deeply, my heart skipping a beat as I glanced around.

The location was a familiar one.

The forest of Galkin, South of Adala and touching the boundary of Valeryn.

Just a few Miles in lay the cave I'd been rescued from. Before I got my bearings in this world. The memory reminded me of my amber-eyed rescuer.

Bitterness filled my mouth, the smell of orchids and rosemary diminishing, my senses didn't register the call of the colorful birds residing here or the many caves surrounding it.

My chest squeezed, a connection strained and my brows furrowed in unsolicited anticipation.

This was where—

"Cara."

I sucked in a sharp breath.

And with it came the pull of my bond, the uneven beating of my heart and the momentary fear.

"Lucien."

I commended myself for the even tone as I turned around and was met with amber eyes.

I paused, taking him in just as he was doing to me.

His sharp cut jaw was clenched, platinum blonde hair falling haphazardly over his forehead. The scar on his brow and his neck stood proud. His body was just as chiseled in his attire as it had been the last time I saw him.

Like a woman starved for water, I drank him in.

My heart yearned for his touch, my memories grapsing my emotions.

"You look well." His cold tone, those cold amber pools.....

I suppressed a shiver as I replied, "I am well."

I wasn't expecting to see him before the Mating Ceremony Ball and this would be a hidnerence.

I already had a feeling where the Tomb might lay and going there would be a task for me. But with Lucien tagging along? It would be a disaster to say the least.

"Your eyes." His clipped tone sent a shiver down my spine and his eyes stared into mine like they could uncover all my secrets. "They are streaked with silver."

The fact that he felt the need to voice it said a lot.

I tilted my head nonchalantl, "Yes."

The Shifter General looked to be suppressing emotions. His cold facade looked foreign to me because I'd been indulging in my memories too much.

Lucien was one of the most compassionate and warm people I'd known. It was his charm. But I took that from him and I had no one but myself to blame.

His eyes dipped to my hands until he finally found the jade ring I was wearing.

Something in his gaze flared for a brief moment before it was chased away by his other emotions.

"Gen-General Lucien!" Keely dipped into a bow and I swallowed thickly, waiting for her to stand back up.