33. Cara

Every story has a turning point.

Every dish, its secret ingredient.

Every war, its moment when the tides turn over.

Every painting, a final crucial blend.

And when I woke up this morning with a summon from Xander to meet in the meeting Hall, I knew today would be a monumental day for changes.

Xander had taken one look at me from across the hallway, one deep inhale and stormed away. And rightly so. He smelled Lucien on me, he saw through my carefully kept demeanor. And he didn't like it. He didn't return last night and so I slept in my own separate room without the presence of his warm body and sweet words.

I looked at myself in the mirror as my handmaid brushed my hair and put on the crown. I'd chosen to wear a special white dress with black lace for today. A custom made one. Tiny midnight blue jewels crept over the bellowing end of the dress, only to entwine with ebony branches. Sharp cut amber jewels made for the belt that cinched my waist and storm grey delicate ropes criss-crossed over my back and tied at my neck along with the straps. 

The finishing touch was the black kohl lining my eyes and a pair of onyx teardrop earrings that matched the onyx-gold necklace. My mother's ruby, the blood oath one....that ruby was set in this new necklace and I liked it much better this way. My Silern dagger was strapped to my thigh and the slit of the dress went high but not too scandalously so. The material felt soft and silken against my slightly tanned skin as I turned away from the mirror, my silver-streaked jade green eyes flashing and my heart racing.

It was a statement. One only for today.

It had been a restless night to say the least but I wouldn't allow for the anxiety or apprehension to show.

I still had a few more moves to play, a few more cards up my sleeve. I liked to go out with a bang.

And today.....

I had a very strong feeling something big was about to happen.

Walking down the corridors with the guards a few paces behind me, I felt my bonds stronger than they'd felt before. The meeting to be held in the Hall was to discuss an alliance and next course of action now that Killian and Kesla were allies. I also knew Xander had no trust in me by this point and it would be getting worse even if we had to present a strong front.

'Something will happen today, won't it?' Mel's voice sounded in my head.

A jaded smirk lifted my lips.

I suppose even she felt it.

'Prepare yourself.'

The words were meant for me just as much as my second.

Everything was going the way I'd planned and if it kept up, I could predict exactly what would happen next.

It was quiet, ominously so, as we walked the great length to the other side of the palace.

And then I felt it.

Felt him.

I subtly twisted my head and my hand-picked entourage of guards stopped, keeping a distance and vanishing into the shadows right as I saw him.

Leaning against the door, sporting tight breeches and a flowy black shirt tucked in with two top buttons open, was the Vampire Prince of Celera. He looked so at ease with arms folded and his head tipped just in the slightest way to indicate he knew I was approaching.

My skin pebbled and my heart skipped a beat as I finally stopped in front of him, facing the arrogantly handsome Prince. My heart clenched when I met his electric blue eyes and my bond with him flared to life in my chest.