26. Cara

"You're in my arms but your gaze is wandering." Xander's words floated across my skin as he whispered. "I'd think the punishment wasn't enough for you, my love."

His grip tightened on my waist and I brought my eyes back to his. Golden orbs stared into mine, glowing and heated.

I rose an unamused brow, "I enjoyed the punishment though."

"I'll make note of that. You're a wild one, my mate. Since a spanking and a fucking that left you boneless weren't enough apparently." He flashed a wolfish grin, his canines on display.

I sucked in a sharp breath and felt heat creep up my neck. "Rather crass for a ballroom."

"I am a beast after all." He shrugged.

I chuckled in response, aware of the numerous gazes on us as we danced.

"But I'd like you to know, Xander...." I leaned forth until our lips were brushing and his grip tightened on my hip, "I'm much worse than a beast."

Confusion flashed in his eyes and I smiled in contentment.

•○•

The real challenge would begin now.

Seated around the table for a lavish dinner were some of the most prominent figures of Vammal.

Including Arion, Damien and Lucien.

We sat at the head of the table, Xander and I. Side by side.

It almost gave an illusion of our previous life but there were too many misplaced things.

"Why in the world is Katherine clinging to Arion like a leech?"

Melida mind-linked me, two seats down from us with Micah.

I took a small deep breath, keeping a serene smile on my face. I couldn't let it show that I was being affected. Simply. Couldn't.

And yet with that reminder, my eyes slid to Katherine and Arion.

I hadn't expected her to be here. I had different plans for her but if she kept digging her nails into Arion's arm and literally breathing in his face then I'd have to change things a bit.

"Bet you three thousand gold that Cara will snap." Mel snickered, her eyes burning holes into Katherine.

Micah smirked, his red hair combed away from his forehead and joined the mind-link.

"No, she has better self control. I bet you five thousand that she'll ruin Cecelia over there first."

I subtly rolled my eyes at their antics and they hid their grins behind their hands. However it didn't ease the tightness in my chest.

Lucien was seated besides Cecelia who was making polite conversation with those around her and being her charming self.

I didn't care, of course.

I cared that she'd been dancing with Lucien and exchanging covert glances with him. That she'd been warming his bed for around five centuries.

A hand slid onto my thigh, the slit in my dress being parted so the warmth seeped in directly from Xander's rough hand.

"Looking at others again, live?" He murmured, eyes glancing around at the people with vigilance.