21. Cara/Xander

(Cara's P.O.V)

"Perfect. You're prepared."

"I didn't have much of a choice." Snarled the blonde, glaring but softening her look as she spotted Keely behind me.

Britt's room had been turned into a herbal workshop and the scent of thyme and basil, burnt candles and leaves, surrounded us.

"Keely, welcome."

I watched as the brunette smiled and then they both shared a look I had no business looking at. They'd formed some sort of bond that I could probably never intrude on.

A pang travelled through my heart, ocher hair and almond eyes flashing before the curtains of my mind. Taunting me on my shortcomings and fueling the rage simmering under my skin.

"Well, then. You're ready, aren't you?"

At my inquiry, Britt sighed and nodded. "Yes." She hesitated, "But it will be very risky."

"Of course." I glanced at Keely, "You're ready too, right?"

She nodded, gulping. Her nervousness was palpable but this had to be done nonetheless.

Britt clicked her tongue, "How long before your mate comes to destroy my room?"

I lightly chuckled, "Perhaps within minutes of you undoing the concealing spell."

Britt looked troubled, her blue eyes swimming with uncertainty for once and I exhaled.

"Don't worry. Melida will keep him out until we get it all done with. And your safety too, is guaranteed." Then I shot her a withering look of warning, "And under no circumstances are you to let Xander find a way to follow."

Britt nodded, her short hair messy.

As the three of us moved deeper into the room I'd given Britt, we came to an area where the runes could be drawn.

Keely and I would be leaving today for the Hunter's Tomb.

It could take us roughly around three days for a to and fro trip. Granted, of we didn't encounter any difficulties or we didn't have any mishaps.

Xander did not know and he was busy working on the new trade connection with a small village north of Adalda. He was busy, for now.

In the meantime, once the spell concealing the Hunter's Tomb would be removed, the source of the power would act like honey to bees and I had no doubts that many supernatural creatures would flock there out of curiosity alone if nothing else.

The amount of power that would full the location without the concealment would be disastrous.

Having to brace them, the monsters and the challenging location of the Tomb would be a hurdle in itself but I was also leaving behind Xander, well aware of how recklessly he'd react.

I had to count on Melida to keep him under control. If there was one thing I was sure of, it was that Xander wouldn't be able to leave. Not right now. And he thus, wouldn't be able to follow. By the time he'd be here, I'd be gone already so I had nothing to fear much.

Keely's hands trembled as I handed over the map to Britt once more.

Keely might have agreed but she was far more afraid than she let on. However, these three days or more, we would have to rely on each other if we were to survive the wilderness and the concealed changing location of the Hunter's Tomb.

"Alright then. I've done most of the dismantling of the spell. Now only the last steps remain."

Britt informed us and I jerked my head in assertion as she stepped into a circle drawn with white substance and inlaid with dried blood and ash.