27. Cara

"Marriage?"

Damien looked at Lucien and Cecilia, cocking his head in a gesture of absolute surprise.

I stared at Cecilia, a serene smile on my face, as whispers went around the ballroom.

"Well, that's news." Xander rose a brow, his hand gripping mine but I pulled away.

"Not wonderful news." Melida snickered.

Our eyes met and then she looked at Lucien before clicking her tongue in disapproval.

"I'm intrigued. As is everyone else. Please elaborate." I rested my elbows on the table casually and leaned my cheek on one fist.

Too casually if court etiquette was to be considered.

I'd like to believe I looked the opposite of the turmoil I was feeling. But alas, I'm afraid everyone could sense an underlying threat in my words.

Cecilia however seemed oblivious, which was an obvious farce because I knew how smart she was. That cunning Shifter.

She slipped her hand into Lucien's and then put their entangled hands on the table to present some twisted sort of United front.

Micah snickered.

Everyone was already taunt with tension because of the way Katherine had been sent away and Arion was still clenching his jaw. His fists were so tightly clenched that his knuckles had turned white and I could feel his emotions like they were my own.

And that wouldn't help at the moment so I cut off all the bonds and let myself feel freely.

Let myself feel my emotions.

And my emotions spoke very aggressively.

Hmm......

I'd cut those hands of hers. Hands that dared to touch my man.

"Well, it—"

"Let me ask Lucien a few questions first." I interrupted.

Cecilia tilted her head, a sharp smile on her face.

I didn't hate Cecilia. Well, until now that is. But I had a feeling I'd grow to loathe her before the night would be over.

"Why would you—"

"Sure." Amber eyes stared into mine and ice cold words sent a chill accross the entire room.

Xander was sitting stiffly and I knew he didn't like where this confrontation was headed.

Damien's dark eyes met mine, swimming in indecision and intrigue before they flashed electric blue again. The reminder of what was happening sent a pang through my heart. He sipped on red wine, a smirk shot towards one of the fae by his side.

What a soul bond I had.

But he wasn't at fault here. Not at all.

"Britt's on the move. The guards were knocked out."

"Tail her and follow the plan."

I subtly mind-linked Melida and Micah and I knew they'd manage things.

One part of the plan was in motion. Good.

The other two had been rather a surprise. Katherine and Cecilia.

But I'd happily deal with them.

I had too much to consider and backing down wasn't an option. The representatives of the kingdoms here today already knew who I was. They knew the place my men had.