Chapter Thirty-Two: New children

So, I've been called to the Munchkin City that Tinman lives in because he wanted something from me. I wouldn't imagine what. I hope it won't take long because I still have things to plan for the New Year's since that's around nine hours away from now. I arrived at where he lives now and asked what he wanted me for. He actually wanted my permission to confess to Maddie because he loves her and give him advice as to how to confess since I've done it before. That explains a lot.

They talked so much because Tinman had a crush on my sister. He wanted my permission first because he knows how protective I am with my family. Technically, I can't stop the two from dating. Tinman is a loyal friend and Maddie is old enough to be with whoever she wants. The only advice I could give him was to be below her balcony and be all romantic to her. I remember when I first met him, he mentioned imagining him with a balcony above him as a voice sings to him. I just want to make that dream a reality for him.

So, I told him what to say and we went to pick a rose for Maddie. I promised to be in the area for support but I won't make my presence known so I don't ruin the moment. So, about an hour or so before the New Year, I took him to Maddie's balcony where she was brushing her hair. I told Tinman to go over and do exactly what I told him to do while I hid in a bush. Tinman nervously managed to do what I told him to do and I waited for Maddie's response. She was shocked about the confession until Tinman explained why he loved her.

'Perhaps I had a wicked childhood,' Maddie said, 'Perhaps I had a miserable youth. But somewhere in my wicked, miserable past, there must have been a moment of truth. For here you are, standing there, loving me whether or not you should. But somewhere in my youth or childhood, I must have done something good. Nothing comes from nothing, nothing ever could. So somewhere in my youth or childhood. I must have done something good.'

'For here you are, standing there, loving me whether or not you should,' Tinman said

'So somewhere in my youth or childhood, I must have done something good.'

'Nothing comes from nothing,' the two said, 'Nothing ever could.'

'So somewhere in my youth,' Maddy said

'Or childhood,' Tinman said

'I must have done something...'

'Something good.'

To be honest, I wasn't upset with it. They're perfect for each other. They even shared their first kiss when we finished counting down for the new year. I did the same with (Y/N) much to Ozma's displeasure. (Y/N) told me that most couples kiss at the end of the countdown on New Years so that's why I did it. As the years went by, I watched Ozma grow to be a beautiful young lady, and Maddie and Tinman got married after three years of dating.

I was asked to be Tinman's best man and you know I got revenge for the prank he pulled on my wedding. But we had a laugh about the whole thing. They also went to Glinda to have children of their own when they were ready. Maddie ended up having twins, a boy and a girl. she named them Elphaba and Boq. I couldn't help but notice it was the name of the Wicked Witch and Tinman's human name but I'm not saying anything. I'm not the children's parents. And I think I know why Ozma is blond because the same sort of thing happened with Boq except his hair is grey.

It's to represent Tinman so Ozma's blond is because of my straw. I like that little detail in Glinda's magic. Tinman was a great father and Maddie soon became the next leader of Winkie Country so she moved out of Emerald City. I soon asked Ozma about learning magic once she reached ten years old and she loved the idea. So, Glinda would come to Emerald City three times a week to teach her magic and gave her something to keep safe and never use. The Powder of Life. I think its name explains what it does.

If you use the powder in an inanimated object, it comes to life like what me and Tinman believed happened to us. But that was mentioned around three years ago and now Ozma is thirteen. She's growing up too quickly for me but that's how life works. I was working again when I heard a knock on the door. And I know who's it is.

"Come in, Ozma," I said finishing up a line I was writing

Ozma opened the door but not all the way. She doesn't do that unless she's done something wrong.

"What have you done?" I asked getting up from my desk

"Do you remember the Powder of Life Glinda gave me?" Ozma asked timidly

"I remember..."

"Well..." Ozma opened the door all the way

I looked to see a thing mostly made out of sticks but it was early clothes and had a ain't pumpkin as a head. Whatever it was, it was taller than me.

"Hello," The pumpkin said almost like an adult child.

"Ozma, who is this?" I asked 

"Jack Pumpkinhead," Ozma said

"And this is my mom," Jack said pointing to Ozma

"'Mom'?" I asked looking at Ozma with a look that lets her know she's made a big mistake

"Yeah..." Ozma said

I told Jack to wait outside while I talked with Ozma in private. I took her inside and closed the door.

"'Mom'. Mom?!" I asked somehow triggered by that one word

"I didn't mean to do this!" Ozma defended

"Ozma, it was a simple instruction! Do not use the Powder of Life! And look what's happened! You've created something that thinks you're his mother! You're thirteen years old, Ozma! You've only just become a teenager!"

"It was an accident, Dad!"

"How was this an accident?! Tell me how something that is kept in your drawers magically flew out and sprinkled on the pumpkin and said the magic words to create Jack! Tell me that!"

She knew I had got her there. I know where she put it when she got it. So unless it was a ghost that did it, I can only assume it was her.

"Okay, I did it. I was just experimenting. You do it all the time!" Ozma said

"Because I know what I'm doing before I do it! Now you have a child who probably doesn't even know where he is!" I said

"You never let me do what I want! You're always so protective of me! I'm not you little girl anymore! I know you're trying to do what's best for me when I eventually rule Oz but you have to stop looking over my shoulder when I go on a walk! I don't even know what I'll be ruling because you won't show me!"

"I'm trying to protect you from making a mistake that will change your life! It's what fathers do!"

"Well, I wish you weren't my father!"

That made me go quiet. Does she really think that? Whether she meant it or not, it hurt to hear her say that. She then walked back outside and left with Jack. What kind of father am I for telling her off like that? I should've handled that situation a lot better than I did. How am I fixing this situation?