Where Do We Go When We Fall Asleep?

Briar Rose

I'm cold. I'm alone. Every night when I go to sleep. 

My eyes close. 

And I'm no longer in that cold lonely place.

He's here. With me.

I open my eyes.

 A forest clearing. 

The green grass waved with the wind. The waterfall crashed all high and mighty. The sky is blue and it's peaceful here.

"Briar". I hear his deep soft voice. It's like champagne, strong and sweet. I turn around to see the stunning man. His pale skin and shining blonde hair spun on his head to perfection. Those grey eyes. Heavy with emotion. His straight structured nose. Those pink plump lips. Those perfect straight teeth. He would often try to hide the pearly fangs but I time to time caught a glimpse of them.

I look at him curiously. He is a figment of my imagination I suppose. What beautiful man like this would be with someone like me?

Doubt is a troublesome sport. One you can't win against no matter how hard you play.

He walks barefoot with black pants and a dress shirt that had a few buttons open at the top showing the top of his strong chest.

He comes up and kisses up my neck. "I missed you" he breathes into my neck. His nose teasing my skin and leaving a trail of fire in it's wake. 

I giggle "you saw me last night, you see me every night." 

"I don't care" he nips at my neck and I bite my lip. His touch always felt like euphoria. I often tried to ignore the desire for more from him. No matter how well I hid it, I could not hide from him, I saw the amusement and desire in his eyes.

He probably sensed my reaction and immediately retreated. He looked into my eyes our faces inches apart. His eyes flicked to my lips and his lips parted. His eyes dilated and my eyes pleaded him. 

His eyes ripped away and looked down to my outfit. I looked down as well in that moment and realized my outfit. I was also barefoot, with a long semi-see-through red dress that flowed and contrasted beautiful mocha complexion. His elegant slender fingers run up my exposed leg. 

I lay my head on his chest as he caresses my smooth skin. This is bliss. He makes me feel less alone. 

"I love you" he whispers to me softly like leaves dancing in the wind.

I look into his eyes and caress his cheek "and I you". He smiles wholeheartedly. His beautiful white teeth sporting long white canines.

Fangs.

I first noticed when I met him, it scared me no doubt but I trusted him as he was kind to me. Every time I asked he never answered.

His fangs pierced for a brief moment before 

"Dorian" I whisper. That's his name. He told me the first time he visited me exactly one month ago on my eighteenth birthday. 

"yes sweet rose" I blush at his term of endearment, he always calls me that.

"What are you." He stiffens slightly.

He nuzzles my curly hair. "What do you mean," he says feigning confusion.

"I turn to him to see avoiding looking in my face. "Smile for me"

His jaw ticks and he smiles. I don't see any fangs. I see his face twist in slight pain. I think he's retracting them. 

"show me your fangs," I tell him boldly.

He turns away. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Are you a vampire?"

His eyes widen slightly. "No" he states harshly.

I flinch.

 "It's time for you to sleep, my love."

"No, no, don't-"

But he's gone, and I'm back in the real world. In my bed. And I can't remember what he looks like. I can't remember his beautiful face. Every night.

I feel tears go down my cheek. The only happiness I feel is a figment of my imagination. The man I love isn't real. 

When I sleep. Where do I go when I fall asleep?