Burn

Briar Rose

The men barge in like animals and begin attacking nymphs. I see a nymph on the floor struggling as a man bares his fangs trying to drink from her neck.

Vampires.

My head flashes in pain as I distinctly remember glowing fangs. Nightcrawlers did not seem such a far-fetched idea but why?

I try to run and help the nymph but I am pulled back by Lavender and Lily whose eyes hold fear and distraught. Lily is hiding Ivy who is clutching her tightly.

"Take Ivy with you please, the soothsayer will know what to do, Ivy also knows how to get to Astoria, please."  Her eyes are wide and shining with tears. I nod and sniffle worried for the women.

"Good now run to that willow tree, Ivy will take it from there."

"Go" she pushes lightly in panic.

I run hesitantly with Ivy holding my hand tears flowing from her eyes. This dress is not helping at all.

Vampires attack Lily and Lavender as I run through the grove to the tree just in my line of sight.

A vampire suddenly stops in front of me. Fear strikes my heart but I attempt to remain calm.

"mmm" he inhales deeply and I cringe in disgust trying to run past him.

"Ah ah, a human I smell, incredible. I've never tasted human blood but well know how delicious it is from what we hear."

The ultimate addition, the ultimate drug.

"Will you allow me a taste gorgeous" he drawls licking his nasty lips. His black eyes shine with hunger and his inky hair swept back in contrast to his pale skin.

Like hell will I allow those dusty lips on me or Ivy's necks. I tap Ivy on her back. She looks at me and I gesture to the tree. She gets the hint and runs to the tree. The vampire growls but I turn his head to me and smile.

"you just want me right, let her go she's merely a child," I say sweetly.

He gruffly huffs.

I twist my lips into a smile and seeing a sharp stick on the ground I take it and cut myself a deep cut on my arm. My jaw clenches and my eyes sting from the pain. I lift up my arm and the vampire practically doubles back from the smell that is clearly so arousing to him. His eyes shine with bloodlust.

I lift my arm and all the vampires in the vicinity stop what they are doing and turn to look at me. Lily and Lavender are fighting off vampires as much as they can and look at me in disbelief as I am beckoning all the vampires.

I gasp as I feel a body behind me sniffing into my neck.

"Hey!" The previous vampire yells. "She's mine." The vampire behind me chuckles.

Another one comes up and grabs my arm wanting to lick the blood but another grabs him and throws him away with incredible strength.

"No, she's not yours, her blood is only mine" another argues.

The vampires begin to fight and argue amongst themselves hissing and hitting. It seems my plan has worked.

I look up to see all the nymphs have gathered around the willow tree, they frantically wave at me to get me to come over. Slowly they recant and more and more nymphs disappear into safety until there's just Lavender, Lily, and Ivy.

I run away quickly as the vampires fight amongst themselves. I move over to the willow tree. The nymphs quickly grab my hand and chant louder. The last things I see are angry vampires running over to desperately get to us and the grove set ablaze.