Alone

Briar Rose

I wake up groggily. I drag myself out of bed to continue the misery I call life. I go to the bathroom to see my saddened state staring back at me. Taunting me. Haunting me. My beautiful curls, like a crown, my mocha skin glowing like the sun. My brown doe eyes are curious and my cute button nose and plump lips make me adorable.

"your daughter is cute, but your niece Ranni is just stunning"

 I know I'm very pretty but living in a country where most of the people are the beauty standard and you're not, can get on your confidence.

I've never had a boyfriend. I've never even heard anyone tell me the words I love you. My own parents shipped me off to Switzerland the day I turned eighteen. They sent me to some prestigious, small university. 

" We won't call sweetie, we're busy, and if you like Switzerland maybe you should settle there, hmm."

I recall the memory. Why have children just to want to get rid of them? I have one friend, that's it I guess I'm just too closed off for people's liking.

                                                                                               ∞

I ride my bike, my long curly hair blowing in the wind. I make it to the school and see Tiana at the front waiting for me. She is very pretty with long box braids and sugar-brown skin. She has dark brown eyes that are more feline and a smirk on her purple lips. 

I was shy and quiet when I first came here and as soon as Tiana saw me she immediately jumped on me insisting we have to be friends. She was happy to see another girl that looked like her here. 

 Today we are going to the museum together for a project. We are big fans of the arts. She is an artist and I'm a singer. Every time I see her work I'm in awe, the featherlike strokes of the paint and the graphite bring so much life to the paper. She is a true talent. 

I have been a singer my whole life. Ever since I could talk, I sang. People would praise my singing.

"her voice is so angelic"

 It brought me great joy and it was one thing I prided. My voice was my pride.

"Well, well" Tiana smiles brightly as I park my bike. I give her a huge hug and we go inside the museum together.

These are the moments I live for, my friendship with Tiana is priceless to me. She's like family to me. She's my sister, forever and always.

 Coloums, pillars, beige. That's all i see when I walk in. The museum is grand and beautiful, full of life and colour. It was an odd time of day, so there were not many people, this is a small town anyways.

"Ah ladies, are you here to see the new exhibit" a friendly voice calls out. We nodded eagerly at the short brunette woman with pert glasses. 

We nod happily. "great, are you going to purchase tickets or have you already." I rummaged through my bag and so did Tiana her brows bunched. 

She smiles triumphantly a small piece of paper brandished in her left hand.

we both hand ours and the lady smiles. "right past those doors on the right", she leads.

We say thank you and walk over to the entrance.

I admire the marble on the walls and floors, cream spilled with ebony lines, grand pillars, and grand statues. Landscape paintings fill the halls. The corners decorated with pink peonies.