20 • Preparations For Holi

Payal

Payal

The first light of dawn came, fall on my eyes. I blinked first and then turned around. I just realized that I did not sleep forgot the whole night. I was wide awake and thinking about him & him only.

Whatever that had happened last night, his words, the closeness that we shared, everywhere was lingering in my heart.

I was feeling like being squeezed in love. So much love which I have never gotten. I was so much excited to live my future days with him. But will the future be so easy? Is it written with him?

We both belong to the different worlds. Nothing is similar between us. Sometimes I even feel like stopping my thoughts, my feelings whatever I'm getting for him. Because, nothing is going to be real at the end. Are we both even meant to be together?

But then I recalled his words. What did he say last night? Oneday I will stay in his chamber, people will know everything and nobody can say a word.

Will it ever happen?

I sighed and decided to wake up this time. I didn't work last day but that doesn't mean that I can live today also without working. Other attendees will not spare me. Neither Chandni can help.

Suddenly I heard the multiple knocks on my door. I looked at the door.

" Payal payal payal! Uth payal! " It was her, Chandni.

( payal payal payal! Wake up payal!)

Now I had no more reasons to lay down anymore. Stretching my arms & legs, I stood up. " Coming! Don't break my door! "

Finally I opened the door & she marched inside. " We have to buy gulal "

( coloured powder)

" Tomorrow is holi. I need gulal. Let's go to market, after I finish all the work. Don't sleep again " She said everything so fast & was about to go. As if she came here to say this only. I grabbed her hand and stopped her. " Stop! Take some breaths "

She turned to me & said, " See, I'm alive that means I'm breathing too "

I shook my head in defeat. She is really something else. " But I'm definitely working with you today " I said and went to open the trunk where I had some clothes.  All the skirts, blouses & dupattas I had, everything belonged to Chandni. When I came here, she happily shared her clothes with mine.

I feel like she is not my friend but my sister. Like a family.

" You are working? In your dreams. I'm locking this door "

" What!! " I shouted and ran to her and held her hands before she could run away, looking me.

" Have you gone mad? You are seriously mad! " I scolded her but in reply, she narrowed her eyes and ranted " Then you will be sick again. I don't want to shed my precious tears. "