Voices

mackenzie | pov

My mom takes Sunday morning breakfast very seriously. Bacon, eggs, pancakes, all of it. There's only 3 of us in this house but the table is full. She says it's because during the week she's so busy and this is the one day we get to eat together without excuses, except for work emergencies.

After eating and a long shower, I make myself comfortable on the couch and rewatch this week's All American episode before tomorrow's new one. Picking up my phone, I have a new message.

"Sup, Mackenzie, it's Wayne."

"Hey," I'm nervous, what am I supposed to say?

"Just 'hey', are you mad at me or something?"

"Did you do something I should be angry about?"

"Nah, that's why I'm wondering,"

Let's play.

"What do they say about curiousity btw?"

"Nothing, nobody said anything!"

"Are you sure because that's not what I heard?"

"You hear voices in your head?"

"What if I'm just hearing yours?"

"Oh so, you hear my voice in your head? Do you like me that much?"

Don't freak out. Just tell him enough without directly telling him. In real life, I probably would have ran away at this point.

"I did not ever complain about your voice. Do what you want with that information,"

All of the sudden my phone rings and I panic. It's Wayne. We were doing fine texting, what's going on? I almost want to ignore it but I'm intrigued. So I answer.

"So this is what you decided to do it huh?"

"You were imagining my voice, what better way than to hear it outside your head?"

"I really tickled your ego,"

"You think you're cute,"

"Nope, I did not say that. It's you hearing my voice in your head now,"

"The voice in my head says you're beautiful and a little crazy,"

I can't stop the smile that comes onto my face.

"Your imaginary friends are making me chocolate blush,"

"What? Chocolate blush?"

"Yeah. You know since I'm chocolate, you can't actually see me blush,"

"Okay but you're not chocolate, you're more caramel,"

"Oh? Your favourite flavour,"

"Ask me tomorrow,"

"Good bye Wayne,"

"Nah, I called you. I decide when we're hunging up,"

"If you think that's how this is going to go, you'll be sad very soon,"