Chapter 28

Lachlan. I knew I recognized her from that picture in Josh's room. Guess they're a lot closer than I thought. How could I be so clueless? She was probably the main reason Josh actually agreed to go on this trip in the first place. Even if he hadn't been here, I probably would've met here anyway. Still, I didn't anticipate our first encounter with her arms around Josh's neck.

"And she's gonna be staying with us?" I ask Foster in obvious upset.

"She kinda lives here, hon," Foster shrugs, folding his arms. "What, are you jealous?"

"No- no, I just didn't know they dated." I lie. Josh already told me they went out. For two freaking years. I've never even had a boyfriend. Unless you count Will, but I don't think two weeks really qualifies.

"You don't have anything to worry about." Foster says, trying his hardest to reassure me.

"I'm not worried about anything. It's fine, I'm fine," I shrug off. They didn't see me in the hall, but I feel absolutely mortified. I haven't even said a word to her and I'm too humiliated to step out of the room. There's a knock on the door, but I already know who's coming in. I turn and sit next to Foster, waiting for Josh and Lachlan to open the door.

"Come in!" Foster yells a little too loudly. The door creaks open before it's pushed to reveal the stranger behind it. Lachlan. Her blonde hair is in waves that are almost too perfect. She's a lot tanner than me, but her stature is short.

"Hey Fost!" Lachlan waves to Foster.
"Sup Lach," he stands and greets her with a hug and I feel the fire burning inside me grow brighter. Great. Foster doesn't even like her and I'm still jealous that she put his hands on him.
I have to stop being so possessive.

He sits back down beside me and gives me a smile. I stare him dead in the eye, and he laughs at my sudden stubbornness. "Relax Jennifer." He rubs my back.

"Jen, Sam, this is Lachlan. Lach, these are my neighbors. Foster brought 'em," Josh smiles to her. I sigh and look at her in her vibrant green eyes with a smile. "Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too," She says with a closed mouthed smile. She takes notice of Foster's hand residing on my back and she smirks. "Um, are you and Foster, like, going out?" I'm taken aback by her candidness, but Foster laughs.

"Yes," Foster smirks to himself.
"No." Josh and I say simultaneously.
I can see him trying to capture my attention from the corner of my eye, but I don't give him what he wants.

"So, which is it?" She smiles to me.
"They're not dating," Josh abruptly answers for me. I finally give him my attention, but his eyes are already steady on me in the silence. Looks like I'm not the only one who's a bit jealous.

"Um, I'm Sam," Sam waves to ease the weird tension. Lachlan's eyes fall on him with interest. Give me a break. Who won't she try to flirt with?

"Very nice to meet you," She smiles to him. Foster gives me a weird look, obviously taking notice of Lachlan's liking to Sam. I laugh and he gives me one of his smiles. "Are any of you guys hungry? I know it's pretty late, but we could order pizza or something." She offers us.

I can't judge based upon the fact that she used to be Josh's girlfriend. Something obviously must've not worked out between them considering they're not together anymore. She's known Josh and Foster longer than I have, and my jealously is my own fault. I just can't let it explode into something it's not.

"I think I'm gonna head to bed soon. Are you joining me?" Foster asks me casually. I roll my eyes and I think Josh does the same.

"I'm probably just gonna watch a movie on my phone or something." I shrug. "Not in your bed." I point to Foster.