Chapter 37

"Are you ready?" Josh asks as he leans against the door.

"Yeah, I think I'm okay," I say with one last breath as I run my hands hastily through my hair.
Josh and I had stayed in Foster's room for an hour talking aimlessly about whatever came to our minds. And I don't even mind at all that we missed some of the party. I'm actually grateful we did. God knows we both needed time away from everybody, even just for an hour.
"How do I look?" I ask him. He turns to me and shakes his head.

"Prettiest girl I've ever seen," Josh finishes with a smile.
"Oh stop," I roll my eyes and place my hand on the doorknob. I begin to turn it but not fast enough before Josh stops me.

"I mean it," he says simply. He gives me a kiss on the cheek before we open the door and find Foster sprawled out on the floor.

"Fost?" Josh says kicking the bottom of Foster's shoe.
"I thought you guys were never going to come out of there," Foster says with a huff before standing up.

"You didn't have to wait for us, you know," Josh rolls his eyes.

"Oh please, I wasn't here the whole time. I just came back because I had to make sure there was no funny business happening in there," he says sarcastically. I can't help but laugh. I feel as if a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Josh and I finally seem to have things figured out. Now we can be together in peace.

Hopefully.

"Get your mind out of the gutter," I poke his shoulder and scrunch my nose at him, pushing past towards the stairs.

"Well maybe it wouldn't be in the gutter if you weren't in my room," Foster trails behind as Josh and I walk back downstairs. It's close to midnight, but there are still plenty of people here. I suppose it's not that much later since we went upstairs, but a part of me hoped more people would have left during that time. Especially one person in particular. I see Vanessa in the living room before she see's me. She's talking to Heath- well, more like talking at him. He nods as she continues to trail on, obviously not entertained by the conversation.

Heath's eyes meet mine, but not shortly before they fall towards my hand in Josh's. He raises his cup to me as if to give the both of us a toast. It's an oddly flattering feeling. I don't need approval or validation from him in regards to my relationship with Josh, but it's comforting knowing that we have support. Especially from someone as cynical and cold as Heath. My eyes move to Vanessa, who seems to have finally noticed that what was left of Heath's attention is not on her. She raises an eyebrow in my direction. What's her deal? I don't owe her anything.

It does feel odd, though, knowing that she was sort of with Josh. I knew she liked him, she wouldn't shut up about it. And now here I am, holding hands with him right in front of her. I can't help but feel guilty. But is it my fault that I can't help how I feel? I suppose I could have handled things a lot smoother...

Ugh, I don't want to think about this anymore, I need a drink.

Josh, Foster, and I meet Sam in the kitchen. He's pouring mixed drinks and before I know it, one of the cups are in my hand. Foster and Josh go to grab snacks as I move to stand next to Sam. He puts an arm around me and lets me rest my head on his shoulder. "Everything good?" He asks as softly as he can over the music.

"Yeah," I trail. "We're gonna be fine." He gives my shoulder one last reassuring squeeze before returning to pouring the drinks. "What have you been up to?"

"Foster and I were talking to Heath for a while, but we were really just waiting for you and Josh to come back downstairs," he says as he tops off one last cup. "Almost every party that we've been to this summer has turned into absolute shit, so let's try to change that streak tonight," he laughs before tapping his solo cup against mine.