Chapter 17

"Foster, we've been driving around for an hour, and we have to get Hadley to her hotel." I turn to him from the passenger seat.

"Relax, we're almost there." He squints to the different road signs.

"Sorry, I should've told you in advance that my hotel was on the other side of Wilmington." Hadley speaks from behind me.

"It's fine," I turn in my seat. "Foster will get us there." I reassure her. Hadley's hotel is in the complete opposite direction of where we need to be, adding an extra half hour to our ride back home.

I slump back in my seat and try to relax. It's been a long day and all I want to do is get back home to my bed. After I got my I.D. picture taken, Foster took us all out to lunch. Heath was part of the goodbye committee outside of the building. The only thing he managed to give me was a small nod and stare that could've melted me to pieces. I don't know how I'm going to spend 3 years of college with him right across the street from me. We had a late lunch around 3 at a small Italian place. We wasted so much time, we were there for almost two hours. It was definitely a treat to be surprised by Sam and Foster. They bought mine and Hadley's meals and even bought us brownies for dessert. Of course, I couldn't finish mine without Foster taking a bite from it first. He's been extra nice lately, and I appreciate that from him. I feel guilty accepting his kindness. It wasn't fair to him not knowing what I was doing with Josh. I find myself thinking about Josh more than I should. It's better to bury everything than to believe there's still hope for us in the future.

After lunch, we sat in a park just outside Wilmington for a while. That's when I found out I had a lot in common with Hadley. She actually has a best friend just like Sam, except he's in the next state over. It was a good bonding experience for everyone. Now it's 8 p.m. and Foster has no idea where he's going.

"Is this it?" Foster says turning into the parking lot of a Comfort Suites.

"Yes! Sorry I made you drive all this way." She says as I hear her seat belt unbuckle.

"Nah, it's alright." Foster nods.

I unbuckle my seat belt as well to say goodbye to Hadley. I open my door and wait for her to step outside the car. Once she does, she attacks me with a surprise hug.

"It was super awesome meeting you, and I can't wait until this fall!" She says hugging me tighter.

"I can't wait either." I laugh.

"Here, let's exchange numbers!" She pulls out her phone. "Can you punch your number in?" She says handing me her phone.

"Of course." I take the phone from her and add a new contact. I add my number and hand her back the phone.

"I'll text you." She says holding up her phone with a smile. "Bye!" She waves once before running to the doors of the lobby. I wait for her to step inside before I open the car door back up and sit inside.

"Well she's just adorable." Foster says with a slight laugh.

"Very, um- energetic. But in a good way." Sam adds from the back seat.

"Yeah, yeah, totally what I meant." Foster nods.

"Can we just go home? I'm exhausted." I turn to both of them with a frown.

"No problem doll." Foster winks before revving up the engine. I giggle at his words before turning up the radio. We pull out of the parking lot and onto the main road.

I try to keep my eyes open, but I can't help wanting to fall asleep. I thought the radio would be enough to keep me awake, but I was obviously mistaken. I drift for what seems like forever. Before I can understand what's happening, my window is being opened and a gust of wind hits my face.