Chapter 8

After dozing off for a few moments, I awake again to Will shifting beside me. I open my eyes and see him getting up off the couch.

"Hey, what time is it?" I ask him as I rub my eyes.

"Around one. I'm guessing you and Vanessa have to leave," he says standing in front of the couch.

"Yeah, I guess I'll just take her back to my house with me," I reply. I raise my arms to stretch and Josh's hand falls to my lap. I sit stiffly for a moment before standing up quickly.

I turn back around and shake Vanessa's shoulder, trying to wake her up. She squeezes her eyes tightly before opening them slightly. "What time is it?" she asks silently.

"Time to leave," I reply. Josh begins to awake as well and I stand uncomfortably.

"What's going on?" he says speaking drearily with his eyes still closed.

"Vanessa and I are going back to my house," I say crossing my arms.

"Sweet, can I come," he says smirking to himself as he stretches out on the couch.

"No," Will and I answer at the same time.

"Joking. Again," Josh says standing from the couch. He holds a hand out for Vanessa and she takes it. He helps her off the couch and we all walk upstairs.

Will leads and Vanessa trails behind him. I walk behind her and Josh behind me. He reaches a hand up and tickles my leg with his finger tips. I jump from his touch, but swat his hand away.

"Quit it," I scowl at him.

"Oh relax, you liked it," he rolls his eyes.

"Liked what?" Will asks as we come up from the basement.

"Josh was just trying to be funny," I reply quickly before Josh can make any idiotic comments.

I grab my bag and head outside as well, with Vanessa and Will trailing behind me. Josh leans against the deck railing as me and Vanessa near the stairs.

"I can walk you guys home," Josh offers.

"I think we'll be okay," I answer.

"Jen," Vanessa glares at me, and I understand what she's implying. "Let him walk us home," she adds.

"Fine," I give. "I'll see you around Will. Thanks for dinner and ice cream," I smile up to him.

"Thanks for saying yes," he adds with a smile.

Theres a small pause between us before he finally makes a move and hugs me. Josh coughs slightly and turns toward the beach, away from Will and I. Josh clears his throat after a few seconds and I step away from Will after scowling at Josh.

"Bye," I smile as I part from him.

"Night," he replies letting go of me. "Be back soon," he point to his brother.

"It's two houses down, relax," he says walking down the steps to the beach.

Vanessa and I follow behind him as we make our way towards my house. The sand is chilled and there's a slight wind coming from behind us, but the air is still warm.

"Is it always this windy?" Josh asks folding his arms.

"Not usually. It's not exactly summer until the twenty first," I add.

We pass Sam's house and come near my deck steps. Vanessa climbs up first and I let Josh go next. The motion-sensor lights go on and we all scurry inside the house.

"Are your parents sleeping?" Vanessa asks.

I look to the living room and then check the kitchen quickly.