Chapter 15

"Mom, I'm fine. I just had a head ache." I try to calm my frantic mother.

"Really Mrs. Lawrence, I've been with her the whole time and she's fine now." Sam says next to me.

"You sure you don't have a fever?" She asks, checking the warmth of my forehead with the back of her hand.

"No, I just want to rest, Mom." I tell her for what seem like the hundredth time.

"Okay.. Thank you for keeping her company, Sam. I know she can be a princess sometimes." My mom smiles as she walks towards my bedroom door.

"Very funny," I hide my face under the blankets.

"Okay, just keep it down. It's getting late." My mother whispers before closing the door behind her.

"You can stop now, she's gone," Sam moves the covers off my face.

"I don't know why she worries so much." I sigh.

"Maybe because her only daughter is going off to college in three months?" Sam says sarcastically.

"She still gets too worked up about little things." I frown.

Foster and Josh left around four before my parents got home. It's nearing ten o'clock, and things seem to be quieting down.

"So can we talk about it now?" Sam asks making himself comfortable next to me.

"About what?"

"Are you seriously that dumb?"

I hit him with one of the pillows beside me. "It wasn't even that big of a deal." I refuse his request.

"I think kissing someone you've know for only four days is a bit of a deal," He crinkles his nose to me.

"Well, not in my book."

"Is he like your boyfriend?" Sam asks nonchalantly. He gets up from the bed and throws himself down into my rolling desk chair.

"What? Oh god no, Sam- we're just friends." I almost laugh at him.

"Friends most definitely do not do that," He scoffs.

"Oh sure they can," I roll my eyes at him.

"We're friends and we don't do that."

"Yeah, but you're like the brother kind of friend," I frown to him.

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before," He laughs a tiny bit before clearing his throat. "Why don't you guys just go out?"

"I don't know." I answer truthfully. It seems too easy. I'm not sure if Josh is one for relationships and labels. But I don't think I would want to jump into that. There's a weird pleasure in keeping it a secret.

"It's not serious."

"Why?" He practically scowls.

"Why what?"

"Why wouldn't you want something serious?" He responds with a small shrug.

"I don't want anything serious, Sam. I'm only eighteen." I respond as he slowly spins to his left in my desk chair.

"I'd rather something serious than something that's not real." He says with another light shrug.

A rush of blood shoots to my head and I feel my face get hot. I want to tell him off, tell him that he's wrong. He doesn't know the half of it. He doesn't know what Josh said on top of the roof last night, and he sure as hell doesn't know what's between the both of us. How dare he tell me that we have isn't real.