Chapter 31

I was completely ecstatic the whole ride home from Red River Gorge. Foster scolded us for not being in the same spot they left us, but I couldn't have cared less. All I cared about was spending the rest of the day with Josh. All the burdens that resided in my chest disappeared and refilled itself with pure bliss. The rest of the afternoon was spent getting ready for the party that seems to have already started itself.

I stand in front of the mirror in the on-suite bathroom connected to my bedroom. I curl my hair into light, barrel curls, letting them fall gently onto my shoulders. My outfit is a simple white blouse with black shorts. Should I grab my cardigan? I doubt I'll wear it half the night, so I decide against it. I can already hear muffled talking and loud music coming from the vents that lead down to the main floor. I don't know if I can take another party. The exhaustion that comes with the next day is too much handle, not forgetting to mention dealing with the intoxicated people all night. The only thing making it able for me to survive tonight is knowing Josh will be there for me at the end of it. A knock on my door signals me to finish up and prepare to face what lies downstairs. I walk to answer the bedroom door to expect to see Josh, but I am welcomed by Foster instead.

"You ready to head downstairs, sweets?" Foster says inviting himself into my room.

"No. I'm the exact opposite of ready," I close the door and fold my arms.

"You'll be fine, there aren't even that any people downstairs," He says as he makes himself comfortable on my bed.

"Like how many, fifteen?"

"Um, ha, more like fifty. Maybe sixty tops," He says crinkling his eyes with a nervous smile.

"Foster, that is a lot of people!" My eyes widen.

"Okay, so maybe my definition of a lot is a little different than yours. The important thing is, you shouldn't be so afraid to go downstairs." He raises an eyebrow with a laughter. "Come here," He says gesturing me to walk towards him. I sigh but walk over anyways. Let's see what kind of healing Foster has this time.

"Give me your hands," He says as he holds out his own. "Come on," He smiles. I manage one too, and place my hands in his as he begins, "Jennifer Lawrence-"

"Jen," I correct him.

"Whatever," He shakes his head and I laugh. He can't help but laugh too, but he continues on, "Jennifer, Jen, whatever the hell your name is, I promise that you will have a good time tonight. Whether it's by my side, Josh's, or Sam's, you will have nothing to worry about!"

"That's quite the statement," I laugh again.

"Well you better believe it!" He smiles. "You have nothing to worry about."

"You sure?"I ask just to tease him.

"Of course," He beams. "I just want to see you happy." His words pummel my chest, and suddenly the atmosphere in the room changes. He continues to stare at me with light eyes, but my mind is filled with mixed emotions. Before either of us can say anything else, there's a knock on the door followed by it swinging open. I turn and see Lachlan standing in the doorway with one of her hands on her hip.

"Why is it I always find you two alone?" She smiles.

Foster rolls his eyes and drops his head. He let's go of my hands with a sigh before leaning over to face Lachlan. "What do you want, Lach?"

"No, it's cool, if I was interrupting-"

"You weren't interrupting anything.. Sadly," Foster sighs again as he guides me to the spot on the bed next to him.

"Oh, well um, Josh was wondering where you were, so I came up to check. You okay?" She asks with actual concern.

"Why didn't Josh just come up himself?" Foster scowls with disgust in his voice.