Chapter 35

It's been a week since our adventure to Kentucky, and the life around the beach had dimmed. Mom has been needing me down at the shoppe more often, so there hasn't been a lot of time for in between time to see Josh, or any of the Hutchersons for that reason. I see Foster and Connor at work, but other than that, no activity. Just the rush of the waves, and the relentless sun beating down on the shoulders of everyone in town.

Although, I haven't seen Josh everyday, we're still staying connected. Every morning, I receive a good morning text from him. It's sweet, but he always wakes up way earlier than I do for his morning run, so while he's texting me 'Good morning, beautiful,' at seven in the morning, I'm in bed drooling on my pillow. But he's nothing short of what I expected him to be in a relationship. In fact, he exceeds what I thought. He's so thoughtful and pays attention to details. Oh, and don't get me started on his jokes. I practically die laughing every time he makes a joke. He's an insanely good listener, and he's so kind with his words! It's like the asshole Josh from beginning of summer disappeared and was replaced with a prince. I mean, sometimes he's an asshole, but he's my asshole. And when he is, it's kind of attractive. It's almost intoxicating. Plus he's easy on the eyes. Don't even get me started on his eyes, oh his eyes. I was oblivious not to fall for him from the beginning.

"So dreamy," I sigh.

"Why thank you."
"Huh- What?" I snap out of my trance. Damn, was I thinking out loud?

"You should really stop day dreaming," Foster laughs, "we're working Jennifer!" He puts his hands on his hips, scolding me. I am brought back to reality. Work. It's been a slow day, seeing as it's cloudy out and seems like it's going to rain.

"Sorry. I was just... distracted." I blush. Probably a good idea to keep the day dreaming away from work.

"I mean, I get it, I'm irresistible! But we should really keep things professional," Foster shakes his head, sympathizing for me.

"Foster." I glare.
"Jennifer." He imitates me, but tries to hold back a laugh. He finally let's his laugh go, and sighs when he's done. "I know, I'm just kidding." He shakes his head. "Keep the Josh dreamin' to a minimum, 'kay?"

I blush again, but just smile. "Okay." That's the other thing. I can openly admit to thinking about Josh. No more hiding feelings.

"You know, you really shouldn't flirt with Jen since she's, ya know, dating Josh," Connor chimes as he carries a box to the front desk.

"Bro, she was flirting with me," Foster huffs. Connor and I exchange glances, then look to Foster. He never learns.

Connor sighs. "Fost-"
"I'm kidding, I'm kidding," Foster interrupts. "I'm a big boy, I know what I'm doing." Foster rolls his eyes.

"It's okay, we trust you," I chime, leaning back in my chair. I sigh looking around the shoppe. There's no one here, or even outside. There's no point in even being open.

"Guys, I'm bored," I huff.

"Join the club," Foster starts. "I've been sweeping this same spot for like half an hour."

"Why are we even open?" Connor asks.

"You know what? I don't even know. I'll call my mom to see if we can just close up." I take out my phone and dial my mother's number.

"Hello?" She answers.
"Hey, mom. It's pretty slow down here today."
"Yeah?"
"Yeah.. We were wondering if we could close up? We haven't had anyone inside for almost an hour." I finish, hoping she'll agree.
"Well... Alright. Sorry it's so slow. Hopefully the weather tomorrow will be better." A wave of excitement rushes over me.
"Okay. Love you."
"Love you too," she laughs. I hang up the phone and look up to see an eager Connor and Foster awaiting the answer.