Chapter 14

"Do you need help?" I hear someone say from above me. I look up to see Will's tired face hovering above me.

"Yeah, thanks," I accept as he crouches down and helps me pick up the broken pieces of what used to be a lamp.

I carefully place the pieces into paper bag. Everyone is buzzing around the house. Heath, Logan, and Connor are upstairs cleaning the different rooms that were occupied by half naked teenagers. Foster is running around the house claiming that he's cleaning, but I think he's just looking for his Beatles shirt. But he put on some music and that's really the only thing keeping us going at this point. West, Landon, and Noah are cleaning up the kitchen, and Josh, Heath, and Dayne are fixing up the deck. We've all made a lot of progress. Besides Foster and Josh yelling at each other every now and then, nothing has become a distraction for us. But a lot of the day has wasted. It's already 12:26 and everybody is waiting for lunch.

Will hasn't spoken to me once this morning up until now. He keeps his eyes low and to the floor as he carefully picks up the pieces.

"We should broom this up just in case." He says dropping the last piece of ceramic into the bag. Before I can respond, he's already on his feet and walking away to grab the broom from the kitchen.

I don't know what's really between me and Will. I don't think he heard much except that I fell asleep next to Josh. Other than that, he's been completely unaware of what else has happened. I can't read him. For the most part, he's been oblivious to what's happened with Josh, yet he acts as if he already knows. Does he?

My thoughts are interrupted with the broom sweeps across the floor in front of me. I quickly stand to my feet and pick the bag up to let Will sweep around the area.

"Thank you," I say once again.

"Sure," He says without looking up. I want to ask if he's upset about something, but I let him finish. He doesn't seem too eager to engage in conversation.

Foster struts into the house with full garbage bags in each hand. "Is that all of it?" I ask as he comes near.

"Yeah, we're almost done," He smiles looking down to the large bags. "Is that the lamp?" He asks looking down to the bag in my hands.

"What's left of it," I frown. Will sweeps between us and walks back into the kitchen.

"You know, I think cleaning together is a really good way of bonding with each other," Foster smiles.

"Are you seriously hitting on me right now?" I squint.

"Hey you said it, not me," He shrugs and begins to make his way to the front door.

Will returns from the kitchen. He walks towards me, but instead of stopping, he continues past me and upstairs. The unsettling feeling of guilt returns in my stomach. I push it away but the feeling lingers. I roll the top of the bag full of broken ceramic and walk to the front of the house. I step out of the front door and see Foster returning from the overflowing garbage can.

"Need me to take that for you?" He asks pointing to the bag.

"No, I'll just put it in recycling," I shrug and walk passed him.

I walk down the sidewalk and to the recycling bin. There's at least five full garbage bags sitting at the foot of the driveway. I drop the bag inside the recycling and turn to walk back towards Foster, but instead, I see Will standing on the porch step.

Here it comes. I know he's going to talk to me about something that's on his mind. He wouldn't be out here willing to talk if nothing was upsetting him.

"Hey," I smile as I approach him on the steps.

"I guess we're almost done in there," He squints with his hands in his pockets.