Chapter 20

Will doesn't pull from me. Instead, he hugs my waist, surrounding me as the tide barely reaches our feet. My heart is racing, and my mind is shooting different thoughts into my brain. I'm angry, upset, and confused, but I let those thoughts melt away because the only thing that matters right now is Will. His kiss is soft with the faint taste of alcohol on his lips.

He pulls away from me, my hands still resting on his cheeks. We stand panting face to face, neither of giving any signs of pulling away. He puckers his lips one last time, stealing another small kiss. His focus is on my eyes as he pulls his bottom lip between his teeth.

"Can you drive me home?" I ask as I move my hands from his face to his shoulders. His arms loosen and he nods.

"C'mon." He let's go of me completely but only long enough until he takes my hand. My body forms goosebumps immediately by the sudden loss of warmth Will's body was radiating. Shivers race down my spine as we walk back towards the house. We walk up the steps of the deck and in to the house. We stop in the kitchen as Will pats down his pockets in search of his keys to his car.

"Dayne has the keys. Will you be okay here for a little bit?" He asks close to my ear, making sure he's heard over the loud music.

"Just hurry." I nod. He gives me a smile of reassurance before he disappears into the crowd of people. I take a lemonade from the cooler that Will brought. I sit on the counter and take a refreshing swig. I observe the atmosphere around the house.

People move in and out of the kitchen, some occasionally look through the cupboards for food. I feel sick to my stomach just sitting in the same room as some of these people. The air feels thin and hot and it's incredibly uncomfortable to even breathe it in. It's almost suffocating.

"Jennifer!" Foster grips both of my arms and shakes me once. I jump and take hold of his forearms. "Jennifer please be okay." He searches my eyes as if he's going to find his answer. It takes me a moment to realize I've been taking in fast and short breaths. I was completely oblivious to how hard I had been breathing.

"I'm okay." I take in a deep breath to try and ease my chest.

"You were scaring me. Do you need air- do you want to go outside?" He asks frantically, still heavily concentrated on my eyes.

"No, I'm waiting for Will. He's taking me home." I yell over the music.

"Oh.." He trails. "I'm sorry about what Josh said. He's an asshole." Foster says. Why is he apologizing for him? It's not like it makes the situation better or right.

"I don't want to talk about it." I shake my head.

"Are you sure you're okay?" He asks again, this time tilting his head.

"Yeah, of course." I try to reassure him.

"So can you stop gripping my arms so tightly please?" He smiles and immediately remove my hands from his forearms.

"Sorry," I blush before taking a sip from my lemonade bottle.

"It's okay. So why are you leaving so soon?"

"I just really want to get home. I've had enough for one night." I shrug. "But I'm glad you guys showed up."

"So am I." Foster nods. He fixes the glow stick around my head, adjusting it from its crooked state. He presses his lips together, giving me a small smile.

"Thanks." Leave it to Foster to be the one to make me smile again.

"It's the least I could do. Let's face it, you're a mess." He jokes. After my laughter dies down, Will walks back into the kitchen with car keys in his hand.